Sharon
West Los Angeles

Philadelphia

Anybody know of great gems in the city I can dine at during my stay?

I travel to PA frequently for business and am looking for great, (preferably lesser known) places to dine at during my stay. Any price range works but I prefer establishments with a casual, low key vibe where I will most likely be dining alone. I am open to all varieties of food.

Crystal from Anchorage

Hello,

When I am dining alone in a big city like Philadelphia, I tend to go for more casual cafes and coffee shops. I like them because they tend to have a unique yet relaxing atmosphere, great coffee, and I feel like I can hang around for a bit if I would like to spend some time on work related things. Also, they tend to care about the kind of food that they are serving. I like eating fresh, healthy food when I'm traveling (especially for work) so it doesn't weigh me down too much. Another advantage is since at most of them you order and pay at the counter, I don't have to wait around for a bill when I'm in a rush.

Here are a couple good choices for Philadelphia:

Burlap and Bean Coffee While this one is a bit of a distance from the central Philly area, it is worth visiting. It has a small food menu of soups and wraps, is definitely low key, and has live music every weekend.

Garces Trading Company They have delicious bistro style lunch and dinner options in a really unique space in Washington Square. Dinner can get pretty pricey, but I find lunch fairly reasonable. They focus on fresh ingredients and have lots of French and Italian inspired dishes as well as awesome cheese plates.

Federal Donuts It has a couple of locations. They have a chicken and donuts dish... so enough said.

Cake and the Beanstalk It is super cute. Also a small food menu, but worth a visit.

High Point Cafe This place has awesome quiches.

I hope this is enough to get started! 

1. Philadelphia (city)
  2. Burlap and Bean Coffee (restaurant)
  3. Garces Trading Company (attraction)
  4. Federal Donuts (restaurant)
  5. Cake and the Beanstalk (attraction)
  6. High Point Cafe (restaurant)

David from Charlestown Township

It probably seems cliche--but I love R2L on the 38th Floor of Liberty II.  It's a great place if you're by yourself too because you can just have a drink and food at the bar and see the incredible view of our beautiful city!

1. R2L (attraction)

Bonnie from United States

Go to The Baker's Jar . They have amazing desserts all in mason jars! You can't go wrong with anything you get there.

1. The Baker's Jar (restaurant)

Brian from Philadelphia

Great Vietnamese food, Pho Ha and Cafe Diem (spicy Bun Bo Hue) are great for solo meals. CHeU noodle bar has a lot more people but it's common to hang at the counter too. National Mechanics Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant is casual and located in a beautiful old bank. Tria is always excellent for great wine and light fare. I also love the atmosphere and food at High Street on Market and The Dandelion.

1. Pho Ha (restaurant)
  2. Cafe Diem (restaurant)
  3. CHeU noodle bar (restaurant)
  4. National Mechanics Philadelphia Bar and Restaurant (restaurant)
  5. Tria (attraction)
  6. High Street on Market (restaurant)
  7. The Dandelion (restaurant)

Mike from Philadelphia

N. 3rd is one of my faves in the city... Just outside the city there's a BYOB called From The Boot

1. N. 3rd (restaurant)
  2. From The Boot (restaurant)

Greg from Oceanside

Big fan of Village Whiskey (http://philadelphia.villagewhiskey.com/). Best burger I've ever had. Also, the Duck Fat fries are a must.

1. Village Whiskey (restaurant)

Scott from Philadelphia

Make your way to South Philly and eat at Ralph's. Fantastic Italian restaurant, authentic food. Yum!

1. Ralph's (attraction)

LaToya from Annapolis

Philly is home to many small BYOB places! I would suggest any of those. My favorite is the Italian restaurant Mercato

Have a great time!

1. Mercato (restaurant)

I from Philadelphia

Creperie Beau Monde & L'Etage. The crepes are delicious. I just had the burger for the first time, and it too was tasty. Nice atmosphere; not somewhere I'd feel uncomfortable dining alone.

1. Creperie Beau Monde & L'Etage (attraction)