rich
Athens, GA

Peru, Lima (Peru), Machu Picchu, Cusco

Travel to Machu Picchu from Lima

I'm traveling to Peru in December for 10 or 12 days.  I'm looking specifically for the best ways to get from Lima to Machu Picchu.  Specifically, is train, bus or airplane the best way to go.  I don't mind spending a little more to travel quickly as I only have the 10 or 12 days but sometimes the journey is part of the fun.   

Vincent from Edmonton, Alberta

I would recommend flying to Cusco from Lima (Peru) over bussing. From Cusco to MP you can take a bus to hydroelectrica where you can then walk to Aguas Calientes or take the train from Cusco (http://www.bobaroundtheworld.com/machu-picchu-on-a-budget/). If you have 4-8 days to do Machu Picchu, The trails are awesome, I did the Inca trail but there are also the Salcantay and Lares treks.

Also, buffer your plans in Cusco especially if you're not aware of how your body will treat the difference in altitude. You could bring along altitude sickness pills to take care of that and It's relatively easy to find coca leaves to which help as well.

1. Cusco (city)
  2. Lima (Peru) (city)

Aida from Queretaro

Hello Rich, that‘s the best and the only way that I know. First plane, then bus, then train and you will arrive to a little town named Aguascalientes . But believe me, it is worthy, the views, the train... (Inca rail) part of the adventure!

1. Aguascalientes (city)

Nadia from Adelaide, South Australia

Easy answer - just fly. It's relatively inexpensive and given that you're heading there in the rainy season, a bus on those roads is not a fun journey. Additionally, it's a cool and unique experience to land at a higher altitude than when you started.