Jacquelyne

Peru, Machu Picchu

See other sights before or after hiking Machu Picchu?

My friends and I (there will be a group of 5 total) have just booked our 4 day hike of Machu Picchu in September (woohoo!!!). We are looking into other places nearby to visit either before or after our hike. We will likely have 4-5 days to visit other sites. My question is twofold - what places nearby would be the best to visit? and should we visit other destinations before or after we have completed the hike?

Romulo from Uberlandia

I'd leave Machu Picchu for last. Everybody there says that it's better, and i admit that the energy there is a little different from other places.

You should first go to Cusco region and see the attractions there, mainly Valle Sagrado. A place that I liked a lot, and touched me almost the same as Machu Picchu is Pisac ruins (make the full visitation). The view of the Sacred Valley at the end of the ruin is simply unbelievable.

1. Machu Picchu (region)
  2. Valle Sagrado (attraction)
  3. Pisac (city)
  4. Cusco (city)

Ryan from Redondo Beach

First off, you're going to have a blast! I'd recommend checking out the small town below Machu Picchu called Aguas Calientes. It's a small, quite town that only gets busy when the train from Cusco rolls in to drop off all the people going to Machu Picchu. There's honestly not a lot there but it's nice and relaxing after hiking for 4 days.

Other than that I'd go to Cusco. It's the heart of the Incan world. There's so much to do and see in Cusco. I'd recommend doing a day tour and seeing all the sites with a guide. There are cheap tours that take you around in a bus. You can find them at any tourist office. Check out Sacsayhuaman for great views of the city. Norton Rats Tavern for a beer and people watching. Enjoy!

1. Machu Picchu (region)
  2. Aguas Calientes (attraction)
  3. Sacsayhuaman (attraction)
  4. Norton Rats Tavern (attraction)
  5. Cusco (city)

Outsiders from Brazil

City tour in Cusco, visit Moray and Maras Salt Mines and the Sacred Valley of the Incas.

1. Cusco (city)
  2. Moray (attraction)
  3. Maras Salt Mines (attraction)
  4. Sacred Valley of the Incas (attraction)