Taylor
Fort Worth

Peru, Lima (Peru), Cusco

SAFE transportation for a solo female traveller in between cities Peru?

I am going to visit friends who are backpacking around Peru. I will be travelling to them and from them alone. I will fly into Lima, but they will be in Cusco. What is the safest, most affordable way to get to them ?

Janine from Toronto

Hi there. I just traveled alone through Peru in December and found it to be quite safe. Though I would recommend flying between Lima and Cusco. I used Star Peru- which can be booked via cheapoair.com. It was far more affordable than some of the other carriers. 

That said - bus travel is pretty swank and affordable in Peru. I took the bus between Lima and Paracas and couldn't believe I was actually served a hot meal on my 4 hour bus ride. Seats recline almost all the way back. For a few dollars more you can even upgrade your seats to VIP - but there is no need. Check out Cruz del Sur. Their web-site is a bit tricky but you can always book right at the bus station in Lima as I did. My bus ride to Paracas was about $40 US return. If you do have time after Cusco....Paracas is a lovely way to unwind at the beach and desert! Enjoy...Peru is lovely!

Jeanpaul from Lima (Peru)

well... you have many options:

flying:

- LAN

- Star Peru

- Avianca

Bus:

- Oltursa

- Cruz del Sur

- Ormeño

all of these are very safe 

Ross from Sullivan (Missouri)

I took buses (there are very nice and cheap bus lines) and cabs the whole time I was there. One VERY important thing with cabs, is to make sure they are certified by the government. I'm not saying that all the uncertified ones are dangerous, but we were told that you're taking a chance of the "cheaper cabs" driving you to a remote location and robbing you. I'll try to find out which bus line I took, because it was really nice. I think I saved the ticket as a souvenir. :)

I would also agree with Kelly that the SAFEST would be to fly if it's in your budget.

Carlos from Lima, Peru

Take a plane. The most affordable way is to take Star Peru flights (http://www.starperu.com) since they are the only airline that charges the same for locals and foreigners (the others tend to charge a premium, e.g. Lan Peru or Taca Peru). The alternative -bus- is possibly not as safe if you don't speak the language and although it will cost you around 70% the cost of taking a plane, it will take you around 20x longer (1 hour in plane vs. 20 hours by bus). Cuzco now takes international flights, I would recommend exploring arriving directly to Cuzco as well. Good luck!

Mikael from Montreal

You can take a bus there. It's a long ride though (around 19 hours), but the buses are super comfortable (take the "executivo" ones). It's also fairly cheap. They play movies in the buses (oftentimes in Spanish) so that passes time.

The other option is to fly from Lima (Peru) to Cusco, but it takes a whole other budget.

1. Lima (Peru) (city)
  2. Cusco (city)

Cintia from Lima (Peru)

Hi Taylor,

Welcome to Peru!

If you dont have time, the better way is the flight, you should check Star Peru o Peruvian airlines but if you want to know the road...Cruz del Sur is one of the best transport, other, Tepsa or Oltursa. There are a new company Peru hop, is the first bus hop on and hop off in Peru.... I hope help you!

Michelle from New York City

I would recommend booking a seat on an overnight bus-cama to travel between cities. Book the VIP service (about 80 soles) through a company like Cromotex. Plenty of security as you board and during the ride, and your luggage is guarded while you wait to pick it up once you arrive at your location. They also serve food, tea, show a movie, etc. The overnight buses are super comfortable with fully reclining seats and you basically wake up in your desired location. If the ride is longer they'll also serve breakfast. Good luck! 

Gustavo Andrés from Lima (Peru)

Hi Taylor, I gave an answer to a similar question here: http://www.trippy.com/a/53444bd3e4b004222f9bfaa5/51eec8dde4b0cce1a2d64f64 

I know that female travelers request more safety tips but according to my observations and "feelings" about the places I've visited in Peru everything seems pretty safe for tourists and the native people is glad to help at any time. 

1. Peru (country)

Kurt from Peru

Try using Cruz del Sur buses. Book the premium seats

Kelly from St. Louis

Do you have a budget? The safest is def flying as the buses can be sketchy depending on which line you choose. And not to mention a long ride!