Devon

Peru

Extra time in Cusco or fit in Arequipa?

My husband and I will be in Peru for 12 nights at the end of May/beginning of June.  We are doing the Lares trek and planning to stay in Cusco for several days before (so at least a total of 6-7 nights between Cusco and trekking).  Should we spend the remaining 5 nights in the Sacred Valley, too, or try to fit in Arequipa and a short trip into Colca Canyon?  We're very active and want a mix of trekking/adventures and immersion in the culture.  We'd fly between Lima/Arequipa/Cusco, so time between cities isn't a big issue.  Thank you!

Ryan from Canmore

I'm guess I'm a dissenting opinion compared to the other answers, but I would recommend staying in the Sacred Valley or Cuzco (maybe check out Pisac!) I went to Arequipa and did the 2 night 3 day Colca Canyon trip and had a very frustrating time. Our tour was very poorly organized and you spend a lot of your time sitting around. Almost everyone my girlfriend and I met on the other tours in Colca Canyon were also complaining about it.. That said I really liked the city of Arequipa and they have some amazing restaurants, I just think the Colca Canyon isn't a must see location.

I actually have a travel podcast and we did an episode on Colca and Arequipa if you are interested in hearing more! http://www.theworldwanderers.com/tww-033-arequipa-colca-canyon/

1. Pisac (city)
  2. Arequipa (attraction)

Jackie from England

Definitely go to the Colca Canyon, Condor'sare amazing. Also lodges with hot springs are lovely. Arequipa worth a visit, food good. I recommend the cathedral museum which gives access to the cathedral outside its limited opening hours & you get to go up one of the towers & onto roof to see fantastic view of city & surrounding volcanoes.

1. Colca Canyon (attraction)
  2. Condor's (restaurant)
  3. Arequipa (attraction)

Aerin from Santa Barbara

Definitley go for visiting Arequipa! Especially if time isn't an issue. Be sure to browse through the San Camilo Market and visit the Santa Catalina Monastery.

1. Arequipa (attraction)
  2. San Camilo (attraction)
  3. Santa Catalina Monastery (attraction)

Lorraine

Arequipa definitely worth a visit with its ashlar buildings-world heritage listed. Good food in the picanterias.From there can do 1 day visit or treks to Colca Canyon-tours vary in quality so suggest you research before you go to make sure what's on offer suits what you want to do. Worth doing though.

From Cusco recommend going to the salt pans-Salinas de Maras-very windy narrow road, beautiful scenery and salt pans are amazing-can be done in a day trip.

If you decide on the Sacred Valley and Ollantaytambo good to stay in, or can do on day trips.

1. Arequipa (attraction)
  2. Colca Canyon (attraction)
  3. Cusco (city)
  4. Salinas de Maras (attraction)
  5. Sacred Valley (attraction)
  6. Ollantaytambo (city)

Gina from Minneapolis

You definitely have time for Arequipa and Colca—go for it!