Ann

Ann asked

5 Day, 4 night itinerary from Perth to Albany to Perth

Hoping for suggestions for self-drive itinerary for hubby and I. Would like to experience a little of the major tourism areas. Arrive early am Sunday in May (pick up hire car) in Fremantle then depart late pm Thurs out of Perth airport. (4 nights/5 full days). Would like to spend time in Fremantle and Perth then head south. Plan to drive directly from Albany back up to Perth airport on departure day. Don't need 5* accommodation but must be clean and comfortable (no backpacking though!). Any helpful suggestions are most welcome.

Perth

Caitlin

Hi Ann! I would highly suggest visiting the Margaret River region on your way to Albany, especially if you like food and wine. The number of restaurants, wineries and shops would be enough to keep you occupied for days, as well as some beautiful walking and scenic sightseeing and drives. Margaret River town is slightly south (about a 40 minute drive) from Dunsboroughwhich is also good to visit on your way down, it has some lovely beaches. Dunsborough is also very close to Busselton, which is a bigger town, although not particularly exciting in my opinion. Denmark is also a very scenic and beautiful, and very close to Albany. For scenery, I would highly recommend visiting  The Gap in Albany! Also Elephant Rocks and Greens Pool are beautiful, both about 15km from Denmark. If you are into hiking you can climb Bluff Knoll, which is very close to Albany. I haven't done this myself, so can't comment on how strenuous it is, but apparently the view is stunning, and there's information online about it. I hope you enjoy your trip!

Caitlin
To add further comment on the itinerary, I would stay 1-2 nights in Margaret River and 2-3 nights in Albany. It's worth mentioning that Margaret River is a 3 hour drive from Fremantle, and from there to Denmark is another 4 hours. Albany is 45 minutes from Denmark, and then from Albany back to the airport is about 5 hours, maybe slightly less. So if you feel like that's a bit of a push for time then I would recommend maybe 2 nights in Denmark and 2 in Albany instead of visiting Margaret River. It really just depends on your interests. I've been to Margaret River at least 5 or 6 times and there are always things to do there, including more inside activities if the weather is windy/raining, especially as you're going towards winter time.

1. Margaret River (city)
  2. Albany (city)
  3. Dunsborough (city)
  4. Busselton (city)
  5. Denmark (attraction)
  6. The Gap (city)
  7. Elephant Rocks (attraction)
  8. Greens Pool (attraction)
  9. Bluff Knoll (attraction)