Nancie
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Penang

Best Street Food in Penang

Would like to read about "not to be missed" street food in Penang. I will there for a month this summer. One of my main reasons for going there is to sample the food. 

Elliot

Good, you're going to Penang for the right reasons!

Ok, so there are a couple of things that Penang does that you'll have a tough time finding in the rest of Malaysia. The first is Assam Laksa. The best of this is hotly debated, but I put my opinion behind Air Itam Asam Laksa.

The other neat thing to eat there is a sweet bean soup cooked by an old man in Little India. I can't remember what street it's on, but I'm told he's one of the very last people making this dish. He only does one thing, so it's hard to miss. Not out of a cart, but in a little tiny shop. 

And the last thing you'll only find in Penang is actually a drink. It's called Ais Tingkap. On a street called Lebuh Tamil, close to Jalan Penang. It wasn't my fav. but I was told that no one else makes this anymore so that alone should make it special.

I don't envy the heat you'll have to battle this summer, but I envy your trip. I love Penang and I love the food there. 

1. Air Itam Asam Laksa (restaurant)
  2. Little India (attraction)
  3. Lebuh Tamil (attraction)