Zenaide

Passport requirements - Help!

When I travel to Denmark in December, my US passport will have 4 months on it until expiration. That meets the 3 month Danish requirement. However, I am flying to Europe via Paris with inbound and outbound flights to Copenhagen. The French require 6 months on a passport. Will I be prohibited from traveling and/or entering Europe? Should I pay expediting fees to get a new passport before I leave for my vacation?

Tom from Chicago

Don't risk it.  Get it expedited and renewed.  I had a similar issue.  To be extra sure, call your nearest French and Danish consulates and just ask.  

While I do not think they will even give your passport a glance at the airport, I think you should renew it as it would really suck to come across some guy who is having a bad day at the customs office, because he can legally refuse your entry if he is in a bad mood.

Elliott from San Francisco

Absolutely expedite a new passport immediately by visiting a main post office that has a passport office - rather than following the usual process.  Chances are you will not be prohibited, but why risk the potential?  

Denise from Washington, DC

Absolutely expedite a new passport immediately!  I recently had a client (who arranged his own air)  denied boarding passes on a United flight to Spain and he was short just one week on time, that's how strict is has become.  Luckily, he was able to get a new passport the next morning!

Amy from Cambridge, Massachusetts

Absolutely, get a new passport now.

Amanda from Washington, DC

Six months is the baseline for most countries - especially true in SE Asia where they love the income from visa renewals etc.

Depending on where you live, you can request an appointment, which is really just a timed entry, to go to a passport office and get a new one. I did this in NYC a few years ago. Or you can pay an expediter fee to get a new one quicker by mail. 

John from Carlsbad (California)

Definitely renew.

Kristi from Fresno

I would strongly recommend a new passport so that you don't have any issues and don't have to worry.  With travel plans, you can make an appointment at LAX passport center and return same day with your new passport.  

Chris

Yes. Most countries require passports to be valid for a minimum of 6 months.

It's definitely worth the peace of mind to get a new passport. Many countries in Europe are pretty strict about 6 month expiry.