Pasadena

Best free things to do in Pasadena?

I'm going to be in Pasadena next month and will be on a pretty tight budget. I'm looking for the best free and inexpensive things to check out! I love the outdoors, art, museums, you name it. Thanks!

Fritzi from San Francisco

If you enjoy architecture, walking tours of the beautiful historic neighborhoods are free and the preserved Craftsman bungalows are beautiful.  You can download the walking tour maps on line from the Visitor bureau.  There are 8 -10 distinct neighborhoods, very walkable, so charming.  The Pasadena Playhouse is a historic theater/school (Demi Moore graduated, and so did my Mother) and has recently been restored. Also California Institute of Technology has beautiful architecture and is amazing inside.  It's worth a visit.  The whole scene along Colorado Boulevard is enjoyable, and check out the Colorado Street Bridge and the Rose Bowl Stadium near the Arroyo neighborhood. Pasadena is one of the best preserved, walkable and enjoyable areas in LA, so you will definitely have a great time there.  Gold Bug is my favorite quirky shops, with a great collection of cards and bottanical artifacts.

1. The Pasadena Playhouse (attraction)
  2. California Institute of Technology (attraction)
  3. Colorado Boulevard (attraction)
  4. Colorado Street Bridge (attraction)
  5. Rose Bowl Stadium (attraction)
  6. Pasadena (city)
  7. Gold Bug (attraction)

Claire from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

jack from Arcadia

Umm... there's a great square near IPic Theaters if you like people watching and eating gelato, and if you find yourself in altadena, be sure to check out Cobb Estate at night, its a great hike with with an amazing view. Cafe santorini offers semi upscale dining with a romantic ambiance and great view. Last but not least, Dont forget to check out the wine bars and dinner theaters. Happy hunting ^_^. hope i was helpful, English is not my first language.

1. IPic Theaters (attraction)
  2. Cobb Estate (attraction)

Kay

There's Old Pasadena which has your assortment of restaurants and shopping. The Gamble House is great architecture exhibit. Close to several hiking spots, such as Eaton Canyon Nature Center.

1. Old Pasadena (attraction)
  2. The Gamble House (attraction)
  3. Eaton Canyon Nature Center (attraction)