Lori
Savannah

Park City

Day trips from Park City

Spending time with the family in Utah over Thanksgiving--we'll be based in Park City but we'd like to venture out a little as we've never been to Utah and we've heard it's great there at that time of year. We'd like some suggestions about where to go. Thank you!

Shauna from Santa Monica, California

I'm actually from Utah and there are so many incredible places to see! Here are a few ideas but this just barely scratches the surface!

• Arches National Park - Another of my favorites in Utah. This is a terrific drive but I recommend traveling here in Spring or Fall since it is the desert after all. Get out and walk if you can because the arches are so inspiring. Also, try to time it so you're there at sunset. Seriously great.
  • Monument Valley - This is one of my favorites areas. It is located near the four corners of Utah, Colorado, AZ & NM. Truly phenomenal colors & rock formations. Small fee to get into the park & I believe you can also ride horseback during some parts of the year.
  • Lake Powell - Since I grew up in Utah, I gotta stress that most of Lake Powell is in Utah and not Arizona. Okay, got that off my chest. No matter which side you enter the lake, it is an experience to to be missed! The rock formations are truly stunning & one of the local faves is to get a group of friends or family & rent a houseboat for a week. Also, don't miss Rainbow Bridge National Monument.
  • Timpanogos Cave Trail - Funny, but I don't remember the trail so well since it has been many years since I've hiked to Timpanogos Cave. BUT, I do remember vividly the incredible cave with crystal walls and many icicle-like formations that are breathtaking.

1. Arches National Park (attraction)
  2. Monument Valley (region)
  3. Lake Powell (attraction)
  4. Timpanogos Cave Trail (attraction)
  5. Rainbow Bridge National Monument (attraction)

Dave from Minneapolis

If you want a close hot spring check out Homestead Crater. It's a geothermal spring about 400 feet accross and 50+ feet deep. There's a small hole in the top but it's accessed through a tunnel carved through one side. You can snorkle, scuba or just float in the hot water.

If you have kids who like dinosaurs you could visit Dinosaur National Monument. It's about two hours east, about 20 miles east of Vernal.

1. Homestead Crater (attraction)
  2. Dinosaur National Monument (attraction)

Adele from Park City

Diamond Fork Hot Springs and Antelope Island are also fun day trips.  

Diamond Fork Hot Springs is right outside Spanish Fork, so the drive is about 1.5-2 hours from Park City.  It's about a 3 mile hike to the hot springs but well worth it!  Near Thanksgiving if there is a lot of snow on the ground the trail is closed, so you may want to call the forest service department before driving there.

Antelope Island is the island in the middle of the Salt Lake. You can drive around the island and get out and see the Salt Lake up close.  The best part is the island is full of bison, the largest publicly owned bison herd in the U.S. 

1. Diamond Fork Hot Springs (attraction)
  2. Antelope Island (attraction)