• Poonam Desai
  • "safe travel within Paris @ night"

Poonam Desai

Allentown, Pennsylvania

safe travel within Paris @ night

is it safe to travel from Gare du Nord train station to les Halle's @ 10:00 in the night. The 2nd ARR

• Mary Smith

Travelling from the Gare du Nord to Les Halles as safe as taking public transport in any big city anywhere and very considerably safer than in many, many other places.

10pm is hardly late at night! There will still be loads of people around, as well as transport staff.

The only things you need to be concerned about (regardless of time of day) are pickpocketing and opportunistic theft, exactly the same as in the vast majority of cities and crowded places worldwide. Use city commonsense, which applies everywhere:

1. Keep cash, cards, passport and important valuables (including your phone) safely *underneath* your clothing and never, ever in any outside pocket (including front trouser pockets), backpack/daypack or handbag/purse. Pickpockets across the world are exceptionally skillful; never underestimate their abilities.

2. Don't get drawn into conversation with hawkers, beggars, people who offer to 'help' you etc. Distraction is a worldwide and commonplace pickpocketing ploy. Just ignore them and keep walking.

3. Always wear your bag with the strap across your body and, if it's very crowded, hold it in your arms.

4. Don't let anyone 'help' you with your bags. Just say 'Non, merci' and keep walking. Stay polite but be firm.

5. Stay alert and aware of what is going on around you, most especially in crowded situations. Railway stations (especially those with links to airports) are favourite targets for pickpockets because they know arriving passengers are often tired, disoriented and much less alert.

Follow those commonsense rules and you need be no more concerned about using public transport at 10pm in Paris than you would be using public transport anywhere else.

Enjoy your trip! :-)

• Poonam D.

Poonam D.

Thank you so much for your detailed response. This gives me the perfect idea of how to plan my trip. · (1 likelikes)

• Poonam D.

Poonam D.

Thanks · (0 likelikes)

• Mary S.

Mary S.

You're more than welcome. :-) · (0 likelikes)

• Pamela M.

Pamela M.

I agree with everything said. Just be cautious and you will be fine. 10 pm in Paris is about when the sun goes down in the summer or even later. I lived there 2 years and rode the metro a lot. Had a few strange people and things happen but wasn't attacked or hurt in any way. My friend was cornered in the metro by some kids and was pick pocketed and I was pick pocketed by a woman in the Brussels train station when I put my purse on the floor beside me. She must have been watching me and saw me open my wallet when we stopped to get something to drink. Stupidly I put my purse on the floor (just off plane and tired) and she covered my lap with her dress and got the Belgian francs (this was 1991?) and I immediately knew she was stealing from me. She somehow handed it off to her kid who was running out the train station....so be careful but have fun! · (0 likelikes)

1. Gare du Nord (attraction)
    2. Les Halles (attraction)

• ·
    • ·

Send Mary a Thank You Note