Chelsea
Rustburg

Paris, Rome

What's the best time to book an airline ticket to Rome &/or Paris?

Trying to plan a multiple destination trip to Paris and parts of Italy from the States. I don't know when high and low seasons are or how far out to book a plane tickets for the best value driven price. 

Rlee from Toronto

Ah, such great questions. If you are planning to go in the summer, I would book your flight as far ahead as possible (even 8-10 months, if the prices are good). In my experience, there are rarely summer sales and it is an expensive time to fly. If you're going in spring/fall or other times, you can often get good sales much closer to the time you plan to go. Some sites, like Kayak, show you the price trend and give you a "buy" or "wait" recommendation. It also depends whether you want to fly direct, or don't mind a stop. You can get better deals for 1 or 2 stop flights.

As for high/low seasons, they tend to vary. The "shoulder seasons" like June and September are busy and expensive in Paris, and you can often get really good deals on accommodations in August even though the flight will likely cost more!

I would start by saying that I would definitely not book a Paris trip for August. Parisians generally leave the city for the south or other countries and while a lot is open, a LOT is closed and the city is so full of tourists you almost don't feel as if you're really seeing Paris. Plus museums and other cultural attractions don't have their best exhibits going on then for that reason. 

My favorite times to visit Paris are May, June, even July, the fall and Christmas. So, basically most of the time. ;) 

Personally, I would book as soon as possible but that's me. 

Valerie from Queens

I bought my ticket around June and flew out in October for Paris Fall seems to be the best time to fly! Also XL Airways France had the cheapest deals, not exactly the best flight experiance though. Skyskanner.com and hipmunk.com are great websites for cheaper deals.

Angel from Meycauayan City

Best time to book air tickets? NOW. 

No, really. There's no better time than now.

I honestly think that people get to avail the biggest deals when they book months early. I mean, if you book tickets for flights that will not be departing for the next three weeks, then you'll most likely to get the cheap deals. :) 

Charlotte from Amsterdam

In Europe the school holidays are in July and August, so this will be the busy months as well to visit these capitals.

Patrick

Several factors must be taken into consideration to properly answer this question. First, how long do you want to be abroad? Second, how well can you adapt to another culture. i.e. the language barrier and fact that tourist generally stick out can lead you to be taken advantage of. I have been lucky enough to travel with my family since I was 12. We always booked through a tour company such as Trafalgar or Globus. Insight is also very good but a little pricier. The benefits of using a tour company are priceless although the price is fairly reasonable. Typically 10 days to 2 weeks including hotel accommodations, guided tours of all the major sights, all your breakfasts, luxury bus transportation, portage fees and some dinners and roundtrip airfare will cost around 2500-3500 per person. I can imagine for that time on your own you would spend twice that and not see nearly as much. Im not saying that is your only option but that is the only way we ever did it and I feel like we were well taken care of. If you are feeling really frisky you can even book conjoining tours which we always did. As for on and off season. I agree with another post that August would be a horrible time to go. 

Best of luck and happy travels. 

P.

Desirae

In regards to your question on high and low season, we went to Italy and booked our stays through the website agritourismo. It it is a website featuring bed and breakfasts or apartments for rent in Italy. When you click on the booking calendar for the places you want to stay at, it shows you what is considered high or low season. Hope this helps!

1. Italy (country)

Michel from Taipei

For Paris avoid July and August since it's high season in France. Enjoy your trip to Europe.

Emi from San Francisco

The spring and summer will be the most, late fall can be less and winter is the very least! Our most recent trip to Paris & Rome was in February and we found SUCH inexpensive tickets + hotels! Here are our guides to both Paris & Rome. xo 

http://www.welltraveledwife.com/2013/03/guide-to-paris.html 

http://www.welltraveledwife.com/2013/10/guide-to-rome.html