Amy
Florida

Amy from Florida asked

What's the best season to visit Paris, and why?

I know, I know. Any time's a good time to visit Paris. But really, when do you think is the BEST time? I am going for a 3-month period or longer. 

Holly from West Hollywood

I was in Paris at an Airbnb for a few months in October until early December and loved it. A few rainy days but made it fun, walking the streets of Paris in long raincoats, red umbrellas, holding hands, finding small cafes to have tea/coffee/a light snack and watching the rain come down.  

So many museums with so few tourists. As Christmas season approaches as the decorations start appearing in the windows - with such a light touch-so eye-appealing. 

Go-Go-Go!

Amy
I'M SO GOING. Thank you! I have been leaning toward a September to December visit, so thank you!

Amy
Oh, and could you recommend a place to stay? Maybe share the link to your Airbnb rental if you liked it?

Holly
I went back to my airbnb stays and the one on 44 Rue Tiquetonne looks like it was taken off the market? https://www.airbnb.com/users/show/1090621 There is a hotel on 6 (same area) http://www.hoteltiquetonne.fr/en/ We just enjoyed the area. Many locals. A cheese shop, wine shop, 3 grocery stores, a farmers market at night during the week, a chocolate shop on the next block, a few nice restaurants (not too many but enough) and two restaurants for breakfast. A few blocks to the subway, a few more blocks and you were at the Louvre. We did have a saxophonist play each night, not very well, but by the 8th night we looked toward to My Funny Valentine. The bartenders flirt in just the right way to make someone who is 48 and married 20 years feel like they are 22 again, all quite innocent but with a touch of Paris naughty. Ah- the French! We love to walk, you never know what you will find hidden down a side street, we felt safe, know just a touch of French and try it out and they will be happy to speak English. They are happy you tried your French. At least that is what we found. Again- read the reviews in airbnb before you book. But don't let a little rain keep you away. Lived inNew England and Seattle and if the weather kept me from doing things - oh boy!

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

I love Paris in every season (even in a bitter, below-zero, cold snap in January), but I have to say, there's nothing like Paris in the Springtime.  Stroll through the Luxembourg Garden, and the Tuileries, bask in the sun by the reflecting pool in the gardens of the Place du Louvre, sip espresso at a table outside Café de Flore or rival café, Les Deux Magots, (and choose a side!), and take a boat down La Seine, from Notre-Dame de Paris to the Eiffel Tower.   

Bon voyage!

2. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
  3. Tuileries (attraction)
  4. Place du Louvre (attraction)
  5. Café de Flore (restaurant)
  6. Les Deux Magots (restaurant)
  7. La Seine (attraction)
  8. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  9. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
Maurice from Paris

Best period is August. Why? Because parisians are on vacations ! No traffic you can park a car, easyli find a Velib (city bike you can rent for few euros).

Best period is May between 1st and 10th. There 2 hollydays (Labour day and end of 2nd World War Celebration) a bunch of parisian are out... some same configuration as August... with less tourists in the museum than  in August. Usually climate is very nice at this time... could even be better than in august (that can be hot in summer)

Regan from Brooklyn

Spring or fall, but spring can be rainy. It's a closely held secret that Paris in the spring is just as bad as London.  The fall weather is pleasant and the tourists are gone, so I would go sometime in September or October.  Just beware of fashion week as prices will jump.  I've never been in the winter, but friends went and said the holidays in Paris were magical.

Roxanne from Montreal

Spring, end of April and May. Not too touristy and the blooms are out.  The locals are not yet fed up of us tourists.

Marnie from Conflans-sur-Anille

My husband and I are French and lived and worked in Paris more than 20 years, before taking over his family's chateau in the Loire Valley near Vendome12 years ago. Since then, we return to Paris regularly, to see friends, exhibits, go to the theatre and shop. We tend to prefer the season without traffic, in August, when you can rent the Velib bicycles and cycle all over town. However since the theatres are then closed, and our guests at the chateau too numerous for us to escape, we also opt for March, when a series of new exhibits often start to run through till end of July. The weather is by then also improving which means you can walk everywhere for miles, one of the great joys of exploring Paris, without freezing or getting rained on.

For those who love Spring and Autumn, it is also lovely in Paris, however there are many more tourists, and at that time it is so beautiful to be in the countryside, why lock yourself into a city?

1. Vendome (city)
Alain from Soissons, France

Hi, I would say that May/June is the best time to visit Paris. 

Caitlin from Thousand Oaks, California

Fall! All of the crowds are gone!

Ihsan from Amman

Spring april- june, nothing beats paris in colors nd the weather is refeshing

John from Carlsbad (California)

If you are going for three straight months, I would go from early to mid April through early to mid July.  April is cool, but not too cold.  You will see it warm up, the days will get longer, and outdoor activities and cafes will be available. There will be more and more tourists as the three months go by, but you will enjoy fairly good weather the whole time and you won't have crowds early in your trip.  I would avoid August because it's hot, Parisians have all gone on vacation, and many restaurants and shops are closed.  September through November would be second choice.  September is nice (although heat waves can happen), October is good, but it gets pretty cold in November.  I don't think the difference in rain from month to month matters much.  It can rain in any of these months, and a little rain gear solves the problem.  It's hard to go wrong whatever you choose.

Elaine from Norfolk

I agree with Tiffany... summer has too many tourists.. one amazing time was being on the top of Eiffel Tower on night of Bastille day and watching fireworks !!

1. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

As far as weather goes, Michelle is spot on! I prefer Autumn to Spring, but both will give you nicer weather than winter and less crowds than summer. Parisian summers can be hot and air conditioning isn't standard.

I have been twice during Christmas which is beautiful, so an autumn to Christmas time frame would be great. Winters do get cold and a bit wetter, but it's still a gorgeous time to be in Paris and there are much shorter lines for all the touristy things.

A lot of Parisian restaurants will close on Christmas itself, but we found an excellent meal at one of the local Japanese restaurants in Paris, so even during the holidays, you'll be just fine. (Or you can cook in - head to the Rue Mouffetard for a great market).

I suppose it's really up to what you prefer: spring flowers or autumn colors, warming temperatures or cooling temperatures, a bit more rain or potential snow.

1. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)
Michelle from Melbourne

Honestly, I think any season in Paris is great. For getting around though, spring and autumn are brilliant. Paris is such a walking city, as long as you don't have the extremes of heat or cold, you'll do well. I haven't been to Paris in August for a long time so I don't know if the old conventions of lots of places closing down for the annual holidays still holds true. 

Sara from Florence

I love Paris, but I enojoy it especially in Autumn. As any big town gets too crowded on tourists during the summer and spring, while being a northern town gets really cold in the wintertime. September is magic, with all the nice autumn colors and you can really live the town because it is not that cold. For example you can enjoy a nice glass of wine on the channels.

I should also mention Christmas time when the town gets literally covered in Christmas decorations, so wonderful as you can imagine.