Kelli
San Luis Obispo

What is the 19th arrondissement Paris like? Is it a decent place to stay?

We will be travelling to Paris at the end of April and I am looking at staying in the 19th arrondissement of Paris.  We have been to Paris three other times, but never ventured there.  Is it a decent place to stay?  Are there any cute little cafes or restaurants?  Anything would help!  Thank you.

Personally this isn't my favorite part of the city and not one I would go out of my way to stay in. It's an area that always seems to be on the brink of improving but always seems to take one step forward and two steps back. I'm sure there are lots of people who will completely disagree with me but that's just my opinion. The one thing I really do like there is the  Parc des Buttes Chaumont which is very unusual. It will also put you near the  Belleville area which is somewhat up and coming (or at least, always claims to be), as well as the  Parc de la Villette

Again, I think I may be in the minority--I'm sure you'll get good suggestions about where to go here as there are probably lots of good hole in the wall restaurants, etc. I've just never been that enamored with the neighborhood myself. 

1. Parc des Buttes Chaumont (attraction)
  2. Parc de la Villette (attraction)
  3. Belleville (neighborhood)

Megan from Los Angeles

I stayed in the 19th arrondissement this past November for a week or so. Like Courtney said above I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there but I mainly stayed there because it was cheap. 
We ventured around the 19th a little bit looking for cute typical Parisian cafes but none were to be found. Honestly it was a pretty boring area with not a lot happening. I would rather spend my time in money in other areas of the city. 
I didn't mind sleeping there but we spent most of our time out and about not at our hostel. 

frieso from Brussels

If you are looking for the best district in Paris, I would say Le Marais (3e arrondissement). Drink a glass of wine Ô Château or champagne  Hôtel Saint-Paul . If you would like a unique dining experience  Dans le Noir is a surprise. Go out  Les Bains du Marais.

1. Ô Château (attraction)
  2. Dans le Noir (restaurant)
  3. Les Bains du Marais (attraction)
  4. Hôtel Saint-Paul (hotel)