Sophy

What are the non touristy, unforgettable places to go to in Paris?

Hi guys,

In light of recent events, our outings have taken a more cautious approach. We are still going on about our day, just being cautious. 

We have 3 weeks left in Paris which leaves us 3 weekends of exploring. 

What are some of the must dos that are off the beaten track that you'd suggest? 

And at least one amazing amazing restaurant we should go to. Kind of like an Eleven Madison type experience... Something that's going to blow us away... 

Any suggestions would be super! Thanks guys 

Edna from Paris

Thanks for staying! As someone who lives in Paris it's incredibly frustrating to see people cancelling trips or cutting them short, when honestly it's still quite safe here -- I feel far safer in Paris than I ever do at home in the US.

As for weekend exploring, how about strolling through the Marché Bastille at Richard-Lenoir  or Marché des Enfants Rouges and along the Promenade Plantée (also known as Coulée Verte Angle Ledru-Rollin ).

As for restaurant, try Le chateaubriand or Le Severo -- Chateaubriand has a second seating that you don't need a res for; Severo is reservation only I believe.

By the way, the Salon des Vignerons Independants is next weekend (Nov 26-30), if you like wine and want to sample wines/armagnacs/etc from winemakers all across France you should definitely check it out!

1. Richard-Lenoir (attraction)
  2. Marché des Enfants Rouges (attraction)
  3. Coulée Verte Angle Ledru-Rollin (attraction)
  4. Le chateaubriand (restaurant)
  5. Le Severo (restaurant)

Greta from Vilnius

Hi Sophie! First of all - all of my best wishes to you, you're very brave to be in Paris right now.

As for the answer to your question, I haven't done this personally - but my dear friend did this tasting and she was super happy with the time she and her husband had. Hope it helps, Sophie! Best of luck!

Ben from London

Definitely eat Le Bouillon Chartierfor a fantastic, inexpensive, classic French meal.

Also check out Squat 59 Rivoli possibly the best art museum in Paris....and it's a squat!!

Read more about 59 Rivoli on our blog - http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com/blog/is-the-best-art-museum-in-paris-free

If you can, Le Comptoir Généralis the coolest place in Paris & quite off the beaten track :) (http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com/blog/le-comptoir-general)

1. Le Bouillon Chartier (restaurant)
  2. Squat 59 Rivoli (attraction)
  3. Le Comptoir Général (attraction)

Sean from Hudson Valley

To begin with, Sophy, I tip my hat to you.  Many would have departed immediately.  I feel your staying there shows great character.

In light of the recent tragedy in Paris, Yahoo's travel section has an article by Johnny Jet entitled, "What to do in a City Where There's Been a Terrorist Attack."  Most of his advice may sound like common sense, but quite often I've witnessed that's the first thing people abandon in stressful situations.

In it, he points out that after the initial incidents, perpetrators are usually found, detained, arrested or killed.  Even so, cities usually go into a high alert status.   Boarders, airports, roads, train and bus stations may be closed.  Check points may be set up, and there is usually a greater police or military presence.  The sad irony of this is at that point, the place which suffered the attack is usually far safer than it was prior to the attack.

I know, Sophy; None of this really answers your question. 

I'm a big believer in walking through the residential neighborhoods of any place I travel.  Museums and tourist sights are great, but the real city is where the people live.  In fewer places is this more true than Paris.  With it's combination of history, striking architecture, small specialty shops, and wonderful people, the neighborhoods of Paris beg to be explored by foot.

A few of my favorites are the Cler St (in the 7th arrondissement).  It's full of wonderful shops.  The perfect place at assemble the perfect picnic.  If you are then looking for a pretty spot to enjoy your picnic, I recommend the Luxembourg Garden (in the 6th), lakeside at the Bois de Vincennes, or nearby at the Zoo de Vincennes (both in the 12th arrondissement), or on the grounds of the Cité Universitaire (in the 14th, I think).

Other picturesque strolls can be had along Rue des Rosiers(3rd arrondissement), Rue Mouffetard, Rue Christine (both in the 5th arrondissement), and Rue Montorgueil (2nd arrondissement).

1. Cler St (attraction)
  2. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
  3. Bois de Vincennes (attraction)
  4. Cité Universitaire (attraction)
  5. Rue des Rosiers (attraction)
  6. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)
  7. Rue Christine (attraction)
  8. Rue Montorgueil (attraction)

Kamel from Paris

Hi Sophy,

I would suggest you to visit Musee National d'Histoire Naturelle

Why not visiting the sewers of Paris ! les Egoûts de Paris

Well for a private place to have a dinner, you could try the Le Perchoir a rooftop bar and restaurant in Paris

1. Musee National d'Histoire Naturelle (attraction)
  2. les Egoûts de Paris (attraction)
  3. Le Perchoir (restaurant)

Scott from San Francisco

It's not quite as fancy as EMP in NYC, but Dominique Bouchet is top notch - the chef is from the hallowed halls of the 3 star Michelin dining destinations, yet it's a lot more comfortable and affordable than those places.  It's also very nice and the chef is usually on site.  Then I'd recommend, depending upon the season, going to the wonderful farmer's markets and also some cheese shops to enjoy the kinds of cheese and charcuterie we just can't get legally in the USA.  

1. Dominique Bouchet (restaurant)

Sarah from Farmington, Connecticut

I really love just wandering around the 3rd arrondissement - there's tons of good shopping and restaurants and feels very much like the Paris of the last century.  It's quintessentially Paris.