Alex
Santa Barbara

What are the most popular neighborhoods in Paris?

Me and 3 girlfriends are visiting Paris for a week and wanted to know what would be the best arrondissement to stay in? We are 22 and just graduated college, so we would like to stay somewhere fun and somewhat centrally located. Thanks!

Sarah from Devon

I would say book an apartment on airbandb or similar in 18e Arrondissement specifically near Rue des Abbesses & Sacré-Cœur Basilica. Feels just like you imagine romantic Paris should feel & easy connections to rest of Paris. Also walking distance from Gare du Nord. Don't miss Musée Marmottan Monet with significant collection of Monets without the queues.

1. 18e Arrondissement (attraction)
  2. Rue des Abbesses (attraction)
  3. Sacré-Cœur Basilica (attraction)
  4. Gare du Nord (attraction)
  5. Musée Marmottan Monet (attraction)

Melissa from Massachusetts

My husband and I stayed in the Quartier Du Marais (3rd/4th arrondissement) and I'd highly recommend it.  It's easy to walk from there to the The LouvreNotre-Dame de ParisSainte-Chapelle....or there are several Metro stops right nearby to whisk you away to any other part of Paris you choose!  (It's also home to Au petit versailles du marais, home of the best hot chocolate and almond croissant I've ever had the pleasure to partake in).  Good luck!

1. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)
  2. The Louvre (attraction)
  3. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  4. Sainte-Chapelle (attraction)
  5. Au petit versailles du marais (attraction)

Laurel from Calgary

I would suggest the 4th arrondissement, especially if you are interested in a vacation rental rather than a hotel. The Quartier Du Marais or Ile Saint-Louis are great bases for visiting Paris and not too expensive. The area has great restaurants.

1. 4th arrondissement (attraction)
  2. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)
  3. Ile Saint-Louis (attraction)

Kamel from Paris

Hi Alex, i would suggest the left bank of Paris. Very well situated and secure.

1. The 6th Arrondissement (6ième arrondissement) with Saint-Germain-des-Prés, Odéon and JLuxembourg Garden areas.
  2. The 5th arrondissement (5ième arrondissement) with Saint-Michel, Notre-Dame de Paris, 5e arrondissement – Panthéon and Maubert - Mutualité

Otherwise on the right bank of the Siene, the 4th arrondissement and Quartier Du Marais is known as very trendy and good to stay for a week.

Do not hesitate to visit the rest of Paris, there is a lot of area less touristic to see and enjoy.

Bon séjour,

Kamel

1. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)
  2. Saint-Germain-des-Prés (neighborhood)
  3. Odéon (attraction)
  4. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
  5. 5th arrondissement (attraction)
  6. Saint-Michel (attraction)
  7. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  8. 5e arrondissement – Panthéon (attraction)
  9. Maubert - Mutualité (attraction)
  10. 4th arrondissement (attraction)
  11. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)

Marie-France from Toronto

I agree with the other posters about choosing the 5th or 6th arrondissements. I picked the 5th (Latin Quarter) on my first trip to Paris (a long time ago) and stayed at Hôtel Esméralda - Paris Notre Dame. It was the perfect location! 

But with four people, it's definitely worth looking into apartments. Try AirBnB. I recently wrote a post on the topic of finding cheap accommodation.

1. Hôtel Esméralda - Paris Notre Dame (hotel)

John from Carlsbad (California)

I agree with Kamel- I would pick the 5th arrondissement or 6th Arrondissement.  Both are centrally located.  The 5th is probably going to be less expensive than the 6th and there are more university students in that area.  I would check out apartments as well as hotels.  You might save some money with an apartment.  Have a good trip.

1. 5th arrondissement (attraction)
  2. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)

I would recommend the Quartier Du Marais or Opéra (9th arrondissement) Last time we stayed near the Palais-Royal in Opera neighbourhood which was really good, within walking distance of everywhere. We rented an apartment on a quiet-ish street but, within 5 minutes walk there were great bars and clubs, cafes and restaurants. The Marais is in the 3rd arrondissement and is very charming and quirky with nice shops and good cafes. Paris is very easy to navigate and has a great metro system so it's not super important where you stay but try to stay within the arrondissements 1-10 as they're closest to all the happening places. Have a great trip, Paris is amazing!

1. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)
  2. Opéra (attraction)
  3. Palais-Royal (attraction)

Susan

Pigalle, right above the 8th arrondisement.

Susan

1. Pigalle (attraction)

I love the Quartier Du Marais but based on your age, desire to be centrally located, and wanting a fun spot pick the 5th arrondissement (Latin quarter).

1. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)
  2. 5th arrondissement (attraction)

Violette from Paris

Hi Alex,

I'm a 22 Parisian girl! About best arrondissement in Paris, I would advise you around Saint-Germain-des-Prés in the 6th Arrondissement and 7th arrondissement. Or the 8th arrondissement of Paris metro station Franklin Roosevelt/Miromesnil or near Rue du Marché Saint-Honoré.

Then, you have many shops, restaurants, cafés, and metros/bus.

If you need more advise, just asked me!

1. Saint-Germain-des-Prés (neighborhood)
  2. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)
  3. 7th arrondissement (attraction)
  4. 8th arrondissement of Paris (attraction)
  5. Rue du Marché Saint-Honoré (attraction)

Stuart from Boise

Two choices: the 3rd arrondissement(Marais) is trendy, near Musée Picasso and Musée Carnavalet museums. Or 6th Arrondissement (Latin Quarter) the opposite side of the Seine River. 6th has lots of restaurants, cafes, and bars for late night eating.

1. 3rd arrondissement (attraction)
  2. Musée Picasso (attraction)
  3. Musée Carnavalet (attraction)
  4. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)

Scott from San Francisco

5th arrondissement or 6th Arrondissement.  Close to Saint-Germain-des-PrésMusée d'Orsay, and it's just a great place to be.  I always stay on this side of the Seine.  

1. 5th arrondissement (attraction)
  2. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)
  3. Saint-Germain-des-Prés (neighborhood)
  4. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)

nizar from Paris

I live in Paris, I recommend you the 9e arrondissement, 10e Arrondissement11th arrondissement of Paris. Less expensive than the others, and there are many things near you that you can do: bars, resto, marché, galeries...

1. 9e arrondissement (neighborhood)
  2. 10e Arrondissement (attraction)
  3. 11th arrondissement of Paris (attraction)

Dhanij

6th Arrondissement for proximity to so much and 4th arrondissement for better deals in accomodations.....

1. 6th Arrondissement (attraction)
  2. 4th arrondissement (attraction)

Cyl from South Carolina

We just returned from a stay in the 2nd arrondissement.  Very central and most importantly, not overrun with other tourists!  With transportation as easy as it is, finding your way to the more "tourist-centric" locations is very simple and quick. 

1. 2nd arrondissement (attraction)

Roxanne from Montreal

Yes, the Quartier Du Maraisis by far the best in Paris But it is also very costly. A good alternative, since your going to be four girls, try renting an appartment. It's the best cost effective. You don't have to take all your meals in but once in a wile, it nice to be abble to. 

Good sites are :

www.homelidays.com

www.bnb.com

1. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)

Dee from California

Depends on what you want to experience.  Since you say "fun", and you're recent college graduates, the Latin Quarter might be just the place (5th).  The Sorbonne is there and it's full of young people.  What type of lodging are you looking at? Have you considered an apartment? 

1. Latin Quarter (attraction)
  2. Sorbonne (attraction)

Martine from France

Hi,  when we're in Paris, I like to stay around the Opéra, it's in the 9th arrondissemnt and very centrally located. You can walk to the The Louvre, to the Champs-Élysées; metro stations everywhere.... But hotels might be more expensive there...

1. Opéra (attraction)
  2. The Louvre (attraction)
  3. Champs-Élysées (attraction)