Katya
San Mateo

Week in Paris - Help us plan it!

We are going on honeymoon to Paris for a week and wish to plan our 7 days to get the most out of Paris. What are some must see places, must eat in restaurants, or other attractions? We want to get a feel of the city's vibe, community, cafes, etc. Not just known city attractions.

Annemarie from New York City

My favorite area of Paris for soaking up the city is the Latin Quarter. This is the area where university kids hang out, so you'll find a lot of street kiosks and fashion, and Shakespeare and Company, one of my favorite bookstores ever, is nearby. Yes, it's a popular bookstore, and yes, tourists will probably be visiting there as well, but I feel like it's a no-miss if you want a small slice of Parisian life. In the same line of thinking, I'd recommend walking up Boulevard St Germain to find any number of cafes to stop in for a leisurely lunch (check out the menus for tourist prices, though, and keep moving if you see a big price uptick), and visiting Place Saint-Michel and the surrounding streets for some people watching. There are also a lot of ethnic eateries here, including some fantastic Tunisian bakeries. If you like art, visit Place Saint-André-des-Arts where a lot of students artists sell their original works. And don't leave without visiting Rue Mouffetard for some serious old-school Parisian cobblestone paths (and a famous Italian pasta shop, Androuët). Again, you definitely won't be the only visitor in these areas, but it sounds like you're casting a wide net of what to visit, so these are a few of my suggestions. Have fun! 

1. Latin Quarter (attraction)
  2. Shakespeare and Company (attraction)
  3. Boulevard St Germain (attraction)
  4. Place Saint-Michel (attraction)
  5. Place Saint-André-des-Arts (attraction)
  6. Androuët (attraction)
  7. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)

I would try  La Fontaine de Mars or  Chez Julien for restaurants. Both are wildly romantic (Julien is a little pricey, though). 

I would also stroll through the  Le Marais district, especially on a Sunday. There is a lovely little square called the  Place des Vosges where there are tons of art galleries and people walking around. 

I also love  Rue Montorgueil which is a fun little market street with all kinds of pretty restaurants and stores. Great for people watching. 

It sounds kind of touristy but I would take a ride on the  Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches which are the boats that go down the  La Seine. They are wonderfully romantic and will give you a great overview of the city. 

For culture, I would hit the  Musée de la Vie Romantique which is pretty much just how it sounds, and/or the  Musée Rodin which is beyond romantic. 

I would also make sure you plan a stroll through either the  Jardin des Tuileries or the  Palais Royal, both of which are stunning. 

Have a fabulous time!!

1. La Fontaine de Mars (restaurant)
  2. Chez Julien (restaurant)
  3. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  4. Place des Vosges (attraction)
  5. Rue Montorgueil (attraction)
  6. Compagnie des Bateaux Mouches (attraction)
  7. Musée de la Vie Romantique (attraction)
  8. Musée Rodin (attraction)
  9. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  10. Palais Royal (attraction)
  11. La Seine (attraction)

Julien

You could go to the Café on the top of Centre Pompidou - Musée National d'Art Moderne, in the evening to get a cocktail with a nice view on Paris by night; the Mama Shelter is also a good bar or restaurant for a nice diner. Try the Sacre Coeurr in the evening also but climbling the hill from the North Face, less touristic and more "Parisian"... then Le Marais, Place Saint-Paul, Île de la Cité are classics !

1. Mama Shelter (hotel)
  2. Sacre Coeur (attraction)
  3. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  4. Île de la Cité (attraction)
  5. Place Saint-Paul (attraction)
  6. Centre Pompidou - Musée National d'Art Moderne (attraction)

colleen

My Fav insider restaurant is Pamela Popo 15 Rue Francois Miron - dinners & brunch are terrific. It is in the Marais (4th district) just off the Sienne on a quiet residential street.  Do make reservations as it is small and local.  Kong  1 Rue de pont Nuef - Asian Fusion with a very hot & energetic vibe.  Do book an upstairs terrarium table (top floor is all glass that open in the summer months to the sky & stars.  Overlooking the Siene & Ile Saint-Louis.  Design is by Phillip Stark - very interesting and the food is terrific.  $$$$.  Alcazarat 62 rue Mazarine is more medium price - great design & great food.

1. Pamela Popo (restaurant)
  2. Kong (restaurant)
  3. Alcazar (attraction)
  4. Ile Saint-Louis (attraction)

Charlotte from Amsterdam

A lovely French restaurant is Chez Janou

1. Chez Janou (restaurant)

Sarah from Paris

Hi Katya, 

An experience you will never forget: a romantic diner in a master chief's home: http://bit.ly/20bNXvQ  and he will share with you the french spirit of gastronomy 

Kevin from Edmonton

I made a post about where to eat in the 10th Arr. you can check it out here.