Dabs

Restaurants in the 5th, Louvre

I'm traveling to Paris in early May, I've been many times but I always seem to have trouble with restaurants.  We're staying in the 5th on rue St. Jacques and while I don't have a problem going to other areas I was hoping to be armed with some places to eat nearby so we're not wandering the streets hungry.  Not looking for Michelin star experiences, more casual bistro food.

Also, I think this is the 1st time I won't be buying a Paris Museum Pass and my traveling companions have expressed interest in seeing the Louvre.  I'm sure there is a way to avoid the lines at the pyramid (with the pass you go in a separate line).  Can you buy tickets in advance?  Is there another entrance off to the side?

Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

Hi Kristi,

It depends where exactly you're staying at Rue Saint-Jacques: close to the Port-Royal or around the Église Saint-Séverin?

If you're not far from Port-Royal (point B here in the map), you should walk (or take the bus) down the boulevard du Montparnasse, where there are a lot of good (and well-known) restaurants, such as La Coupole and Le Dôme. Our favorite one is Le Montparnasse 1900 (a bit further away, but still within walking distance). Make sure to call in advance to make a reservation if you wish to dine after 7pm. La Closerie des Lilas is much closer to Port-Royal, and is also quite good. If you want to go to a brasserie for lunch, I would recommend Le Gamin de Paris. It's a very simple place, but a "valeur sure". Most of their customers are professors, teachers and graduate students coming from the universities just across the street. 

If you stay somewhere around the Pantheon, do go to Au Petit Suisse (I loved that one! Their customers are mostly book publishers). Au Père Louis and La Ferrandaise next door are also good.

A bit up north, on the Boulevard Saint-Germain there is Le Bistrot Du Perigord or a tiny bit further away around Odéon (still within walking distance) there's L’Avant Comptoir or Le Relais Odéon.

A little advice: AVOID the restaurants around the Fontaine Saint-Michel and especially those in Rue de la Harpe and Rue de la Huchette They might all look cute and small and authentic, but they're all very touristy and their food is close to mediocre!

As for your question about the Louvre: yes you can get your tickets online. Check out the museum's website. And take the entrance at the Caroussel (across the BENLUX) and NOT the pyramid entrance. 

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me. Enjoy Paris! :)

Cheers,

Mei

Travel with Mei & Kerstin

www.travelwithmk.com

1. Rue Saint-Jacques (attraction)
  2. Port-Royal (attraction)
  3. Église Saint-Séverin (attraction)
  4. La Coupole (restaurant)
  5. Le Dôme (restaurant)
  6. Le Montparnasse 1900 (restaurant)
  7. La Closerie des Lilas (attraction)
  8. Le Gamin de Paris (restaurant)
  9. Pantheon (attraction)
  10. Au Petit Suisse (restaurant)
  11. Au Père Louis (restaurant)
  12. La Ferrandaise (restaurant)
  13. Boulevard Saint-Germain (attraction)
  14. Le Bistrot Du Perigord (restaurant)
  15. L’Avant Comptoir (restaurant)
  16. Le Relais Odéon (restaurant)
  17. Fontaine Saint-Michel (attraction)
  18. Rue de la Harpe (attraction)
  19. Rue de la Huchette (attraction)
  20. Caroussel (attraction)
  21. BENLUX (attraction)

John from Carlsbad (California)

Hi Kristi,

I would second La Bastide Odéon and La Ferrandaise.  Within walking distance, I also recommend the mom and pop La Cuisine de Philippe, Les Papilles, and the always fun Les Pipos.  AG Saint Germain is a serious restaurant at good prices for the quality.  

Have a great trip.

1. La Bastide Odéon (restaurant)
  2. La Ferrandaise (restaurant)
  3. La Cuisine de Philippe (restaurant)
  4. Les Papilles (attraction)
  5. Les Pipos (restaurant)
  6. AG Saint Germain (restaurant)

Steve from London

There is a little bistro restaurant on Quai de la Tournelle called Le Tournebievre

From the outside, i have to admit that it doesnt look to be much, but when you get inside, you will find it full of locals (always a good sign) and normally very busy.  The wait staff are fantastic, taking their time to explain everything on the menu even to the point of suggesting which wine would go best with which items on the menu.  The food is prepared in a small kitchen by the owner Christian Gaillard and is delicious.

The views of Notre Dame provide a wonderful backdrop to a great dining experience.  So far as I am concerned you can keep your Michelin starred  establishments.  Places like Le Tournebievre provide the true Parisian dining experience

1. Quai de la Tournelle (attraction)
  2. Le Tournebievre (restaurant)
  3. Notre Dame (attraction)

Christopher from San Francisco

La Ferrandaise and La Bastide Odéon both great choices. If you haven't already, check out Paris by mouth and their restaurant recommendations by arrondissement.

1. La Ferrandaise (restaurant)
  2. La Bastide Odéon (restaurant)

Cathy from Brussels

Following this one with interest, as I have a vested interest in the choice made ;)