Jim
Philadelphia

Private Tours

Any recommendations for a private tour company in Paris?  There are four of us and we're also wondering if two days is enough to see the essentials.  We also plan on taking a trip to Normandy.

I would just use the local buses as my tour! Bus 69 will take you in a loop around Paris from east to west so you can get a great sense of what there is to see! Also, #45 will also give you a good lay of the land although it does go a little far out of the way for me.

I always think the Bateaux Mouches give a great sense of the city. One of the tourist attractions I think is really worth it!  

2. Bateaux Mouches (attraction)

Stuart from Redondo Beach

Forget the trip to Normandy as it's an all-day venture, at least. Spend two days in Parisproper. Try a hop-on, hop off bus. Take one of several public buses that traverse the city.

1. Normandy (region)

Joakim

Hi! I really like Triple. They are not in so many cities but they are available in Paris.

Jonathan from Niskayuna, New York

Reach out to Julietta. She does private tour work +33 6 50 94 68 98 

She speaks very good English

Terry from Sarasota

I agree with Kristi Dabertin, the Metro system in Paris goes everywhere, and gives you the ability to see quite a bit of the city quickly. I would hope that your accommodations are close to a Metro stop, but here are some ideas for your two days;

1)  Take the Metro to Sacré-Cœur Basilica the area is interesting, the church is beautiful and if the day is clear, you will get a fantastic view of the Eiffel Tower.

2) Take the Metro to the Île de la Cité and visit Notre Dame CathedralSainte-Chapelle and then walk across the River Seine and visit the The Louvre.

3) Walk back across the River Seine and catch a yellow line to the Bir-Hakeim station which is very close to the Eiffel Tower.  By the way, do NOT wait till you get to Paris to get your Eiffel Tower tickets, get them online before you go. The Tower is a huge attraction and is always busy with vast crowds waiting to either purchase tickets or waiting for the elevator.

4)  If any of those above are not interesting, you can get to Monet Garden by taking the Metro to the Saint Lazare Train Station. The train ride is 45 minutes, and the garden there is amazing.

I am reasonably certain that the above will take care of your two available days.  If not, you could visit the Versailles. The yellow line could take you to where you could take the suburban “RER C” train to Versailles. Again though, you will find it crowded on weekends.

Have a good trip and enjoy Paris.

1. Sacré-Cœur Basilica (attraction)
  2. Île de la Cité (attraction)
  3. Notre Dame Cathedral (attraction)
  4. Sainte-Chapelle (attraction)
  5. The Louvre (attraction)
  6. Bir-Hakeim (attraction)
  7. Monet Garden (attraction)
  8. Saint Lazare Train Station (attraction)
  9. Versailles (city)

Matt from Honolulu

I've had good luck with Context Travel (www.contexttravel.com).

Dabs from Chicago

I've taken a few newbies to Paris, one with as little as one night in Paris, the others with more nights.  Surely you can't see everything in Paris in a couple of days but depending on your interests you can probably see enough to either sate you or whet your appetite for a return visit.  If you are not big museum people, you'd be fine with a couple of days but if you are planning on seeing the The Louvre or the Musée d'Orsay you may want to add another day on as both can be time consuming.  If Palace of Versailles is on your bucket list, that can consume the better part of a day.

On my most recent visit, which was 3 days with a couple of people who had never been, I was amazed at how little we actually did, me not caring as I'd had been many times, and the others with no specific agenda

I've never found the need to hire a guide in Paris, it is quite easy to get around on your own without one.  Normandy, on the other hand, I thought was enhanced by having a guide who was knowledgeable on WWII.

1. The Louvre (attraction)
  2. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)
  3. Palace of Versailles (attraction)

Miguel from Annecy