Elena

Paris, France

Paris walk and must do's

What is a good walk before sunset in Paris? I will be in Paris for 2 weeks end of October/early November 2013. What are some of the MUST do's? I'm enjoy nature, jazz music and meeting people. I am staying very close to the Louvre.

Victoria from Riga

Paris Must Do's can definitely extend from a couple of weeks to years, but here are my faves:

1. Musée d'Orsay

2. Le Marais

3. Luxembourg Garden

Here is a day plan I used last time and it was marvelous. You can extend it for several days). It was during weekend (perfect time for visiting markets and watch Parisians shop).

Morning:

- Visit market Marché d'Aligre

- Walk passing Sci 6 Place de la Bastille
 or metro towards Place des Vosges - plenty of arches, art galleries

- Explore Le Marais with its many shops for cosmetics, French pharmacies and jewelry.

- Have lunch in a restaurant on Rue de Turenne

Afternoon:

- Enjoy La Seine at Ile Saint-Louis, Île de la Cité

- Pass by Marché Aux Fleurs

- If you are in Paris you need to check any of the old cemeteries, I love Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés

- If you are by chance a fan of Hemingway (as I am) have a drink at Les Deux Magots or Café de Flore where he used to spend hours writing, drinking, socializing with many famous writers and art people. It most likely will be touristy, but you have to switch your imagination on).

There are so many options for dinner. I m not sure what you like. But after that, definitely grab a cone of amazing ice-cream at Berthillon (cassis is wow) or Pozzetto (39 Rue du Roi de Sicile).

My musts for having Parisian breakfast:

- Rose Bakery, Claus (14 Rue Jean-Jacques Rousseau),  Mamie Gâteaux (66 Rue du Cherche-Midi).

Café Pouchkine (64 Boulevard Haussmann) is great for chic afternoon tea with pastries. Coco Chanel loved sipping hot chocolate at Angélina, Carette (25 Place des Vosges) is also superb.

Plus, I'd stock on some amazing teas from Mariage Frères, Paris. and Kusmi Tea (nearest to you is 33 avenue de l'Opéra).  Palais Des Thés (64 rue Vieille du Temple) has pretty amazing Earl Grey (The Des Lords).

You said you love nature. I do recommend taking a day trip to Monet's Garden Giverny, France - such an inspirational place. Musee d'Orsay is much better after this trip).

1. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)
  2. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  3. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)
  4. Marché d'Aligre (attraction)
  5. Sci 6 Place de la Bastille (attraction)
  6. Place des Vosges (attraction)
  7. Rue de Turenne (attraction)
  8. Ile Saint-Louis (attraction)
  9. Île de la Cité (attraction)
  10. Marché Aux Fleurs (attraction)
  11. Église Saint-Germain-des-Prés (attraction)
  12. Les Deux Magots (restaurant)
  13. Café de Flore (restaurant)
  14. Berthillon (attraction)
  15. Pozzetto (restaurant)
  16. Rose Bakery (restaurant)
  17. Claus (restaurant)
  18. Mamie Gâteaux (restaurant)
  19. Café Pouchkine (attraction)
  20. Angélina (attraction)
  21. Carette (attraction)
  22. Mariage Frères, Paris. (attraction)
  23. Kusmi Tea (attraction)
  24. Palais Des Thés (attraction)
  25. Monet's Garden Giverny, France (attraction)

Paul

Since you are staying near the Louvre, the best walk would be through the Jardin des Tuileries The Jardin is filled with sculpture, and at the end away from the Louvre Museum is the Place de la Concorde, and the  beginning of the Champs-Élysées - where there is often an outdoor art show. 

On the Place de la Concorde don't miss the Musée de l'Orangerie upstairs is great art and downstairs are the great Monet Water Lilly paintings. Don't miss the best hot chocolate on the planet at Angelina.

1. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  2. Louvre Museum (attraction)
  3. Place de la Concorde (attraction)
  4. Champs-Élysées (attraction)
  5. Musée de l'Orangerie (attraction)
  6. Angelina (restaurant)

Beena from Navi Mumbai

Since you are in Paris for 2 weeks, a walk in Montmartre, especially on Sat (or better , Sundays- you can attend the mass at Sacre Coeur) would be great !  Artists abound over the weekend and occupy the  Place du Tertre and you can have a peek at what they do and have a portrait done...the walk would bring you to the haunts of the giants in the fields of Impressionism, Cubism (Van Gogh, Picasso), besides having the Espace Dalí(Dali Museum)...

It is also home to the only vineyard within the city of Paris :) 

For a detailed walking guide refer to http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/0062020033.html I used this and it is just awesome - especially the directions ! just get off the Station de Métro Abbesses and start your walk :)

1. Sacre Coeur (attraction)
  2. Place du Tertre (attraction)
  3. Station de Métro Abbesses (attraction)
  4. Espace Dalí (attraction)
  5. Montmartre (attraction)

Cecile from New Zealand

Sacre Coeur  and the  Centre Pompidou are must see places in Paris, otherwise just have a walk around the city, there are plenty of small streets and lovely cafés. Many people like the Père Lachaise Cemetery  just enjoy yourself and dont forget to have some delicious pastries at the boulangerie! 

1. Sacre Coeur (attraction)
  2. Centre Pompidou (attraction)
  3. Père Lachaise Cemetery (attraction)

Sergey from Russian Federation

Rue Mouffetard, its market and cafes are among the best places to see in Paris.  

1. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)

Travis from Des Moines

Hands down the best place in Paris to watch the sunset is on the steps is Basilique du Sacre-Coeur in Montmartre. Best view of the city and great atmosphere. Musicians playing on the steps very romantic. Must visit no doubt. 

1. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)

Michael from Tacoma

The Square du Vert Galant is located at the western point of the Ile de la Cité. You enter the square by descending the stairs behind the equestrian statue of Henry IV on the Pont Neuf, the oldest bridge in Paris, which opened to traffic in 1607. When you reach the square, turn and look up. You'll see grotesque and fantastic stone faces on the corbels. From the square you will see the nearby Pont des Arts, a pedestrian bridge which would also be an excellent vantage point for viewing a sunset. Beyond the Pont des Arts you will see the Louvre Museum on the Right Bank, just a thirteen minute walk from the quiet square. Along the Left Bank you will see barges. Beyond them, a different thirteen minute walk could bring you to the Cafe Les Deux Magots on the Place Saint-Germain-des-Pres, once the haunt of Hemingway, Picasso, Camus and Sartre, among others. You don't even need to leave the Square du Vert-Galant to access the Vedettes Pont Neuf, the departure point for a boat trip along the Seine after sunset.

1. Square du Vert Galant (attraction)
  2. Pont des Arts (attraction)

colleen

The 2 best have already been answered - Jardin des Tuileries & Montmartre (beautiful to arrive there & watch the sunset over the city for the high vantage point).  Also a stroll along the Sienne is always lovely - yes even in the winter.

1. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  2. Montmartre (attraction)
  3. Sienne (attraction)

Michael from Tacoma

Elena, in my previous response to your request, I tried to adhere to your specific interests. As I was writing my response, I was also listening to Travel With Rick Steves podcasts. Coincidentally, one of his guests suggested that the same sunset viewpoints as I had mentioned. I've visited Paris about 15 times since 1975. Even so, in another podcast, I learned of a hidden walk along the Seine which I will visit the next time I'm in Paris. Vallée Suisse is a hidden garden which can be found behind le Palais de la découverte towards the Seine near Av. Franklin Delano Roosevelt, not far from Av. des Champs-Êlysées. I'll look for a sculpture of Alfred de Musset and a small green gate. An online search for vallée Suisse will yield a couple of articles and a YouTube video describing a quiet getaway not far from the noise of the city. 

1. Vallée Suisse (attraction)

Just to throw a little something weird in the mix, I would check out the Jardin des Plantes. For some reason there are a ton of gingko trees there and the leaves look incredible when they fall at this time of year. It's a lovely place that will probably have more locals than tourists, as will the Museum National d'Histoire naturelle which is a wonderful, wonderful place if you're into nature. 

The suggestion of the Jardin des Tuileries is an excellent one (there are many great ideas here) and I would add that the Palais Royal is wonderful at sunset, too. Have a fabulous time!

1. Jardin des Plantes (attraction)
  2. Museum National d'Histoire naturelle (attraction)
  3. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  4. Palais Royal (attraction)

Elena from New York City

Hello Everyone,

I've been in Paris a few days and I am now happy to add an answer to the question I initiated.  Parc de Belleville is a wonderful alternative to see a gorgeous view of Paris, from a high vantage point, if you don't have time to make it Montmartre. Here is the best part - no crowds. It's a neighborhood gem. https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Parc+de+Belleville&fb=1&hq=belleville+park&hnear=0x47e66e1f06e2b70f:0x40b82c3688c9460,Paris,+France&cid=0,0,15816619883843833487&ei=rXZxUuToMMX30gXD_oGwDw&ved=0CLQBEPwSMA4

1. Parc de Belleville (attraction)
  2. Montmartre (attraction)

Michael from Tacoma

Elena,

I'm back again with more information on Paris Walks. While exploring Trippy.com, I've been listening to a series of Travel With Rick Steves podcasts. As a New Yorker, you probably know about the High Line. I walked it myself the last time I was in NYC. Paris has a similar 2 mi walk  along a former elevated railway which begins not far from Sci 6 Place de la Bastille near the intersection of Rue de Lyon and Av Daumesnil and ends at the Boulevard Périphérique. From there you could descend to surface streets, pass under the ring road and wander another 1.35 mi through the Saint-Mandé neighborhood to reach the Château de Vincennes. I haven't taken this walk myself as yet but plan to do so the next time I visit Paris, hopefully soon. I've also added a link to an article: http://www.treehugger.com/urban-design/paris-elevated-park-predates-nycs-high-line-20-years.html

After a tour of the Chateau, line 1 of the Metro will whisk you back to the center of the city.

1. Sci 6 Place de la Bastille (attraction)
  2. Château de Vincennes (attraction)