Courtney

Looking for moderately priced wine bars/night spots in Paris

I know Paris very well but since I've always had apartments and/or lots of friends there most of my late night activities have been around dining room tables in homes so...when I go this summer I'd like to finally check out some wine bars and/or fun night spots. Nothing clubby--just bars or restaurants that have a fun night time vibe. Places with great music would be nice, too. I'll be staying in the St. Germain-des-Prés area but I'm open to any neighborhood--I especially love the Marais. Doesn't have to be super cheap but not exorbitant, either. I'll be meeting friends there so I'll have some company. Looking forward to your suggestions! Merci!

Victoria from Riga

Hi Courtney!

Findings from my latest Paris trip:

L'Alcazar (62 rue Mazarine) chic place not far from you. Great atmosphere and music.

Ma Cocotte (93 rue des Rosiers, Saint-Ouen) is very hip resto/bar a bit far but especially good on summer evenings. Parisian crowd and tres jolie.

1. L'Alcazar (restaurant)
  2. Ma Cocotte (restaurant)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

Not in your general area, but I thought  Verjus was pretty cool.  Its not far from  Willi's Wine Bar.  Both of these will have a fair amount of expats, but Verjus is definitely a cool place in an interesting building.

Now for places that have wine, but wouldn't be "wine bars", but are located very near to where you'll be staying in the Marais.

One of the coolest streets in Paris, IMO, is Rue Vielle du Temple because in one 3 or 4 block stretch it is packed with cafes, bars and restaurants.  Some of my favorite picks on this stretch and the Marais are:

• Petit Fer à Cheval is a tiny place with big time character.  It has a little horeshoe bar inside with some seating outside on the street. Definitely worth a stop.

• if Au Petit Fer a Cheval is too crowded, there are other good options all around, including La Belle Hortense, which is literally right across the street.

• Les Philosophes is a cafe which has a great location on a corner for sitting outside and people watching.

• A couple of blocks away is Le Coude Fou, which is a little bistro that will have a mix of locals and tourists inside.  Colorful bartender with a good, reasonably priced wine list.  The tuna was excellent when we were there.  It was recommended by the girl at our hotel and was a great choice for us for a very solid meal, reasonably priced wine and some good people watching.  We sat at a table in the bar area, which was great for viewing the scene.  

For a little hipper/cocktail options:

• Experimental Cocktail Club and the  Prescription Cocktail Club are run by the same people and very cool spots if you feel like a speakeasy feel.

• One of the more interesting restaurants in the Marais area is  Derrière which is kind of a hidden restaurant that feels like you're eating in somebody's house.  Its called "derriere" which means "behind" because it is located directly Le 404 which is a very cool, Moroccan themed bar/restaurant.  The door to Derriere is not marked and is between the door for Le 404 and the restaurant next door.

• Curio Parlor would be worth a stop for you... cocktails and some taxidermy animals?  What could be better.

1. Verjus (restaurant)
  2. Willi's Wine Bar (restaurant)
  3. Petit Fer à Cheval (attraction)
  4. La Belle Hortense (attraction)
  5. Les Philosophes (restaurant)
  6. Le Coude Fou (restaurant)
  7. Experimental Cocktail Club (attraction)
  8. Prescription Cocktail Club (attraction)
  9. Derrière (restaurant)
  10. Curio Parlor (attraction)
  11. Le 404 (restaurant)

Hélène from Montreal

Resto " La Petite Venise" 92 rue Chemin Vert 75011 PARIS. Very simple restaurant but the italian food is excellent. They are open for lunch and dinner and closed between. Arrive around 6h30 or 7h after there is no place. It is a family restaurant went for 10 days in Paris andwent to eat at this restaurant 3 times. Try it!

1. La Petite Venise (restaurant)
  2. La Petite Venise (restaurant)

K.

For the area where you're staying, there are some good finds near Métro Odéon [4,10]Les Éditeurs cafe is a great spot--grab a table outside for people watching at the carrefour or cozy into one of the red booths inside. The resto across the street Le Comptoir du Relaisis great too (but pretty small and always packed). On sunny, warm summer day the Café de l'Odéonoften sets up tables in the plaza in front of the Odéon – Théâtre de l'Europe, which is a lovely (relaxing) spot. Not too far from there in another carrefour is Bar de la Croix-Rouge--another great spot to sit out in the sunshine while having a tartine and a glass of wine..

In the evening, you can find lots of bars/wine bars in that area that have converted their cavernous basements into great (small) venues for live music, eg Caveau de la Huchettefor good jazz..but just have a wander.

For more strolling and interesting finds but a more hip (or kitschy) scene, Rue Oberkampfis good fun..

1. Métro Odéon [4,10] (attraction)
  2. Le Comptoir du Relais (restaurant)
  3. Rue Oberkampf (attraction)
  4. Les Éditeurs (attraction)
  5. Café de l'Odéon (restaurant)
  6. Odéon – Théâtre de l'Europe (attraction)
  7. Bar de la Croix-Rouge (restaurant)
  8. Caveau de la Huchette (attraction)

Liza from Paris

For a nice wine bar, I would advise L'ébéniste du vin - Bar et cave à vin (L'ébéniste du vin). It's 72 Rue Boursault in the 17th.

You've lots of wine there (at any price) and the place is very nice.

1. L'ébéniste du vin - Bar et cave à vin (restaurant)

Paul from Victor (Idaho)

I'm partial to Le Verre Volé in Canal St. Martin, great selection of wines, good food and all organic.  My favorite cafe/wine bar/bistro in that area is La Marine in the same 'hood.

1. Le Verre Volé (attraction)
  2. La Marine (attraction)

Christina

La Palette in St. Germain and Le Mary Celeste in the Marais are both great.

1. La Palette (attraction)
  2. Le Mary Celeste (attraction)