Sunita
India

Is it comfortable for solo Indian in Paris?

If any single person is going to Paris, and he/she is totally unfamiliar with Paris, then it is comfortable and easy for her/him or not?

Molly from United Kingdom

Hi Sunita,

I went to Paris solo - and for the first time - last month. In terms of it being an unfamiliar destination, I honestly didn't have any problems; certainly no more so than any other new city. I do speak a bit of French, but I found that most people were willing and able to switch to English when I struggled. The public transport system is clear and easy to use, and there are maps at every bus and Metro stop (although I would take your own as well). Attractions are signposted. If you want a bit more structure in which to explore on a first visit, there are several walking tours of the city that you could join (also an opportunity to meet people if you wanted to) - see http://www.discoverwalks.com/paris-walking-tours/ or http://www.paris-walks.com

In terms of being a solo traveller, I felt totally comfortable in Paris. Obviously take the same safety precautions that you would take anywhere - don't get in unlicensed taxis, for example, and be cautious if you're out at night - but it's no worse than any other big city. I certainly never felt threatened or harassed in any way because I was a woman on my own. Neither did I feel particularly awkward or conspicuous in restaurants or cafés by myself - in fact, being solo meant that I talked to local people and to other travellers far more readily than I would have done otherwise, and I had a better trip because of it! Any city demands a bit of common sense whether you're travelling solo or not - Paris is no different. 

Hope this helps - enjoy your trip! 

Tom from Houston

I've traveled solo in Paris and found it to be safe and fun! In fact, I've felt more comfortable walking alone at night in Paris than I would in the U.S. Getting around and managing without knowing french can be challenging at times, but the rewards are many. Read about Paris customs and culture before your trip to elevate your experience. Learn a few of the greetings and polite phrases and you'll do fine. Here's a link to some advice for solo women travelers written by other women travelers: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/tips-for-solo-women-travelers

Easy? Depends. Challenging, rewarding and worth doing. Definitely.

Bram from Vermont

Paris is a much-visited destination, in fact it's one of the most visited places in the entire world, and getting around and obtaining information is easy. There are lots of visitors centers and the network of public transport is good. 

Renate from San Francisco Bay Area

Hi, Sunita,

I have solo-travelled to Paris quite a few times in the last few years and, no, it is not always comfortable. But, it is worth it. Because it is cosmopolitan, your Indian ethnicity should not be a problem, I would think. Before you go, try to learn the metro system, which is one of the more streamlined and easy-to-understand systems in Europe. Understand how you will pay. Learn a few words in French, especially, "bon jour" and "merci." See the The Louvre, spend time in the Tuileries Garden outside the Louvre, climb the Eiffel Tower, walk and walk, and sit in cafes. 

No, it will not be comfortable, nor will it be easy, but it will change your life if you let it. 

Here is a recent blog post on a wonderful - and uncomfortable ! - day I spent walking and sitting in a cafe on a recent rainy day in Paris. I hope you enjoy it:

La Pluie à Paris, or, My Café Contemplations

And, I sincerely hope you do not let the mere fact that you are alone stop you from visiting Paris!

Au revoir, Renate 

1. The Louvre (attraction)
  2. Tuileries (attraction)
  3. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Katie from Lake District National Park

Hi Sunita -

I've been to Paris a number of times, both with friends and family, and on my own, and never encountered any problems. Parisians have a reputation of being unfriendly, but last time I was there, I found everyone to be incredibly helpful. Like anywhere, a friendly smile can go a long way! 

As with any big city, though, you need to keep a tight hold on your purse and belongings. 

If you're concerned, though, finding good accommodation is always helpful, because then the people there will be able to give you advice. I stayed at St Christopher's Inns last time I was there - great location next to Gare du Nord and very friendly staff. 

Paris is a beautiful city to explore. I'd recommend maybe a boat trip along the La Seine if you want to get your bearings when you first arrive. 

Hope that helps! 

K :-) 

2. St Christopher's Inns (hotel)
  3. La Seine (attraction)

Lissa from Boston

Like everyone answering you here, I've traveled to Paris alone and enjoyed it! I rented a flat for a week while I took French lessons. I ate by myself, walked the city streets alone, rode the Metro alone, visited sites alone... and it was wonderful. Paris is such a vibrant city and is filled with so many travelers that it's easy to strike up conversations with strangers (if you'd like). My encounters with locals were always pleasant; they were happy to learn I was visiting Paris to learn the language. I also felt safe roaming the streets alone, even at night: there are so many people out and about. I've been to Paris with others, but I'll admit my solo trip was my favorite; I really got to know the city. Enjoy your trip!

Roxanne from Montreal

I am a single woman. I ´ve several times to Paris all by myself.  Best suggestions : good waking shoes, a good pocket map with details of all the "arrondissements" and an open mind. Don't be scared to get lost, the street names change at almost every corner.  Try not to dress to must like a tourist.  You'll have a wonderfull time.

Laura from Buenos Aires

I've been alone in Paris and felt always comfortable. People say parisians are moody and rude but they helped me when I didn't know my way or didn't understand what someone was saying. And is really easy to move around the city even if you don't know the language. 

Lynn

My first trip to Paris was solo... it took a very short time to get used to the city & the Metro, and then I was fine, very easy to get around.  My next 4 trips to Paris were solo, too. No problems, no issues, no worries.  If you are a woman I find Parisians are nicer/more tolerant of you (but most Parisians are not the warmest people in the world... not even to each other!)

Gery from Brussels

Being a Belgian made it much easier for me to go and visit Paris lots of times. Of course, I speak French, which is quite helpful. I do agree with everything that has been said on this page, underlining the fact that you'll probably fall upon thousands of tourists (any time of the year), much more than true inhabitants.

The Parisians may be seem busy people with little concern for foreigners. You have to keep in mind that they have to "protect themselves" a little bit from these waves of tourists, business travellers and migrants. Not to mention the numerous international institutions employees.

Try identifying a friend of yours or a relative living in Paris. Spend a few days at his/her place (even if every square meter counts) to appreciate the real Paris before joining the crowd of tourists. Avoid (at least at first) the world-famous monuments to discover off the beaten path smaller treasures. Explore typical French restaurants and pubs (where only locals stop by). Learn how to "taste" Paris with small bites at the beginning. The help of a resident can be quite useful a that moment. Enjoy it!

cao from Paris

I don't know what you means by comfortable but Paris just come back to the title of the most visiting city in the world. So if you are simple tourist looking for landscape, souvenirs, food etc.... and you have MONEY, you will feel very comfortable in Paris even that you are traveling alone.

Sophie from Paris
Yes paris is very comfortable for solo Indian!