Amie
Manchester (New Hampshire)

Food markets in Paris

This Patricia Wells/Ina Garten fan is going to Paris for the first time this spring and wants to know where the best food/farmers markets are! I'm renting an apartment specifically so I can cook while I'm there. Suggestions?!? Thanks!

Hey, Amie,

First of all, I'm wildly impressed that you're doing this--I am NOT a cook but I do love to eat, so here are my suggestions:

• Rue Monge market - I used to live just around the corner from here and would pick up incredible cheeses whenever this was up and running. It's a relatively tiny, local market which is probably why I always loved it. 
  • Marche Enfants Rouges - this might be one of my all-time most favorite spots in the city and is, I believe, the oldest market in Paris. In addition to having food to cook with, you can actually sit here and eat from the many stalls. I wouldn't miss this one. 
  • Rue Cler - this used to be one of my all-time most favorite streets in Paris and while it still has great food places, it's lost its edginess a bit over the years and now has a few chain food places. I don't know if this is still true, but the shops here used to be known for supplying the most famous restaurants of Paris with their ingredients. When I'm here I always stop at  La Fromagerie, rue Cler for incredible cheese. I would go here on a Sunday as a lot of Paris is closed then so your options will be limited. 
  • Rue Montorgueil - I actually lived around the corner from this street, too, for a while and I absolutely love it. It's a wonderfully lively street with tons of vendors and activity. Great for people watching, too!
  • Marché Barbès - a friend of mine who really cooks took me here once when we were planning Easter dinner (actually, she and some other friends were planning it--I was just planning on eating it). As I remember, it's quite large and is probably meant more for cooks like you than eaters like me. I'd check it out if you can. 
  • Marché Bastille - I've never been a huge fan of this market, but that's more because I've never been crazy about the area. Might be worth checking out. 
  • Boulevard St Germain - if you check out the area near about  Rue Des Bernardins on the south side of the street I think you'll find some amazing food vendors. Not really a market, per se, but some places you shouldn't miss. 
  • Rue Mouffetard - I have a love/hate relationship with this street because it's around the corner from where I first lived when I arrived in the city and everything seemed so, well, foreign, but it is a great place to shop for food. 
  • Rue du Bac - no real market here but it's where Patricia Wells lives so you might want to check it out. Who knows-you may run into her. 

One thing to keep in mind: food vendors in Paris often HATE it when you try to serve yourself--something I learned the hard way when I tried to pick out my own cherries on the rue Montorgueil. Wait for them to help you and you'll save yourself a lot of embarrassment!

1. Marche Enfants Rouges (attraction)
  2. Rue Cler (attraction)
  3. La Fromagerie, rue Cler (attraction)
  4. Rue Montorgueil (attraction)
  5. Marché Barbès (attraction)
  6. Marché Bastille (restaurant)
  7. Boulevard St Germain (attraction)
  8. Rue Des Bernardins (attraction)
  9. Rue du Bac (attraction)
  10. Rue Monge (attraction)
  11. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)

steph from Paris

Hey, Amie,

We have many markets here. Each district has got its market but the best would be to spend a few hours with a parisian foodie expert.

You could enjoy a food tour with lunch to experience the finest gourmet products of Paris ("Master Chef" products, called here Meilleurs Ouvriers de France) http://wonderfultime.com/en/paris/experiences/22-private-gourmet-shop-tour

Rue Monge

Ask the foodie expert for tips to select the relevant products to succeed in french cooking.

Bon appétit !

1. Rue Monge (attraction)

John from Carlsbad (California)

I agree with Courtney that Rue Cler isn't what it used to be, but the shop of Fromager Marie-Anne Cantin, just a block off Rue Cler, is my favorite cheese shop in Paris.  It's a small jewel box of a shop with many cheeses beautifully displayed.  Her Saint-Antoine is a triple cream wonder with a delicate flavor, very creamy texture and it goes perfectly with Champagne. 

A close second goes to Fromagerie QUATREHOMME, not far from the Marché Raspail市场每周mardi,vendredi,dimanche and La Grande Épicerie de Paris.

1. Rue Cler (attraction)
  2. Fromager Marie-Anne Cantin (attraction)
  3. Fromagerie QUATREHOMME (attraction)
  4. Marché Raspail市场每周mardi,vendredi,dimanche (attraction)
  5. La Grande Épicerie de Paris (attraction)

Kamel from Paris

Hello,

I can recommand you nice food markets here in Paris

Le Marché des Enfants Rouges beautiful small and oldest market in Paris with little restaurants inside

La Grande Épicerie de Paris i love it. It's not a typical market but more a luxury supermarket with products from all over the world !

Marché Raspail市场每周mardi,vendredi,dimanche they sell organic fruits and vegetables three times a week. A place to see

Marché d'Aligre very old and famous with affordable prices and nice ambiance there.   

1. Le Marché des Enfants Rouges (restaurant)
  2. La Grande Épicerie de Paris (attraction)
  3. Marché Raspail市场每周mardi,vendredi,dimanche (attraction)
  4. Marché d'Aligre (attraction)

Haleigh from Paris

Hi Amie! Great answers from other users so far. One I didn't see though that I wanted to add that is very well loved by locals is the Marché d'Aligre This market on the weekends (and parts of it open daily) is really a locals favorite for produce, flowers, and more. I definitely recommend it! It's just a hop and a skip from Bastille. Hope that helps!

1. Marché d'Aligre (attraction)
  2. Bastille (attraction)

Sarah from Paris

Hi Amie, 

There are many food markets in Paris. But my favorite one is Les Enfants Rouges in the 3rd arrondissement. Moreover, the surroundings are very cool : Rue de Bretagne, Quartier Du Marais, etc..

I also know that you can book activities to visit food market with local guides and sometimes you can cook with them. I know some start ups are offering you this experience to travel like a local :)

Enjoy you stay in Paris ;)

1. Les Enfants Rouges (restaurant)
  2. 3rd arrondissement (neighborhood)
  3. Rue de Bretagne (attraction)
  4. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)

Antoine from Paris

I’m also a pretty serious cook and I love the Marché International de Rungis. This is an enormous market for really serious cooks. You have to get there by train or car but it’s well worth it just to see real chefs in action. For local markets I would try the Rue Montorgueil which is a fun street market with restaurants and little food stalls. Just don’t take the fruit on your own—let the proprietors pick it out for you—they get very upset if you touch their fruit and veg on your own.

1. Marché International de Rungis (attraction)
  2. Rue Montorgueil (attraction)

Kamel from Paris

you can get parisian market every days in Paris depending on your location. Here is a list, mapping and opening days of the parisian markets

http://meslieux.paris.fr/marches

Enjoy it

Christina

Boulevard Raspail in the 6th has an outdoor market a couple days a week. Rue Mouffetard in the 5th isn't a farmer's market, but it's a darling street that has a cheese shop, a butcher, bakery, etc - definitely worth checking out.

1. Boulevard Raspail (attraction)
  2. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)