Teresinha
Porto, Portugal

Clothing for winter in Paris

Do I need to use snow boots in winter in Paris?

Jacqui from London

My first winter in Paris it got to minus 5 and the wind was awful. I remember being so cold. You might not need snow boots early in the winter, but I highly recommend that you have decent walking shoes (because you can walk everywhere in this beautiful city!) and they have grip so that you don't slip on icy footpaths. take a decent winter coat, gloves, hat and scarf that will keep the wind out! 

Pamela from New Canaan, Connecticut

Having been there in sub-zero, snowy, January weather, I would say that snow boots are definitely not necessary, but attractive water resistant boots with a thick rubber sole would serve you well.  Attractive being the operative word here...I'm always very fashion-conscious in Paris because the women are so effortlessly stylish.  This is the one place I would choose fashion over practicality.  

If you can combine both, you're all set! 

Roxanne from Montreal

If your planning to stay in the city, shoes with a think sole and good socks should do the trick. Not that it is very cold but the humidity goods to the bones. But remembrer that some winters are snowy in Paris also.  What can I say ? Mothernature has her own agenda !

Mei & Kerstin from Larochette

It's always best to wear boots when coming to Europe in winter. If it doesn't snow, it will certainly rain a lot.

Definitely some kind of waterproof shoe is always helpful in Paris, even in the spring. 

Unless you plan on being on snowy mountain tops somewhere, I don't think you necessarily need snow boots in the city streets.  Rain boots, perhaps.  

To give you an idea of what the weather would be like, when I was a high school student, I used to only wear my Chucks/Converse All-Stars with thick socks during Paris winters and I was totally fine.  

A wiser adult me would suggest, though, that you wear flat, waterproof boots of sorts to brave possible rain and puddles, whether they're rain boots, or pleather fashion boots with a slight platform :)