Molly
United Kingdom

Best places for street art in Paris?

I'm visiting Paris again for a few days in August - being an art lover, I've already done / planned most of the galleries, but I'd love to see some street art as well. I've heard there's a lot of it, I just don't know where to find it! Is there a particular area I should go? Any artists I should look out for? Any urban galleries I should add to my list? 

Thanks for any help! 

Tom from Houston

Belleville, Oberkampf and Ménilmontant neighborhoods have a lot of cool street art. Check out www.undergroundparis.org. Remarkably there is a Keith Haring altarpiece in the Église Saint-Eustache church!

1. Belleville (neighborhood)
  2. Oberkampf (neighborhood)
  3. Ménilmontant (neighborhood)
  4. Église Saint-Eustache (attraction)

Veronica from San Francisco, California

The Montmartre area is a very good bet. I saw a lot of it when walking up Place du Calvaire and Rue Poulbot and Rue Norvins. We stumbled on a Dali art exhibit as well (Espace Dalí). Wonderful art sold on the sidewalks of this area.

Here's a map for Espace Dali - the streets all around it had fun art. 

I don't remember any artists by name though, sorry for that.

1. Montmartre (attraction)
  2. Place du Calvaire (attraction)
  3. Espace Dalí (attraction)

Liza from Paris

Hello,

I know a great place for Street art which is a gallery in Boulogne (near Paris, you can access with metro). It's called Gallizia Alain-Dominique. The address is 39 Quater rue de la Belle Feuille, 92100 Boulogne Billancourt. The owner is very very nice and knows a lot about street art and art in general.

It's hard to find it on the internet but I can promise you won't be deceive if you go there!

Let me know if you want more details!

Liza

1. Gallizia Alain-Dominique (attraction)

Larry from Hopewell Junction

When I was in Paris in 2012, I found some interesting street art in the Latin Quarter near the 5e arrondissement – Panthéon and along and around Rue Mouffetard, in the upper part of the Quartier Du Marais and in Bercy in and around the park. You might also want to look around the Bastille quartier and Belleville.

1. Latin Quarter (attraction)
  2. 5e arrondissement – Panthéon (attraction)
  3. Quartier Du Marais (attraction)
  4. Bercy (neighborhood)
  5. Bastille (attraction)
  6. Belleville (neighborhood)
  7. Rue Mouffetard (attraction)

Kimmy from Los Angeles

Go up to Basilique du Sacre-Coeur and walk around Montmartre its beautiful! Also just along the La Seine maybe you can start from Notre-Dame de Paris I am not an artist but I'd still say George Pompidou, Palais de Tokyo and Musée d'Orsay!

1. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)
  2. La Seine (attraction)
  3. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  4. George Pompidou (attraction)
  5. Palais de Tokyo (attraction)
  6. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)

Jade from Paris

Without a doubt, Street Art - Rue Dénoyez in Belleville. It's not a long street, but the quality of the art is so rich that you could spend an hour looking at every little part of it.

I should add, for galleries, there is a great street art gallery called Le Lavo // Matik - it's not huge, but has amazing quality artists there. You can find out more about them on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Le-Lavomatik-arts-urbains/1397962470468246

Enjoy! Jade

1. Street Art - Rue Dénoyez (attraction)
  2. Le Lavo // Matik (attraction)

Belinda from South Carolina

Montmartre is crawling with street artists in the Place du Tertre. You can get you portrait sketched here. Look at all the artists before choosing and it is ok to haggle price. I have 3 little oils of storefronts as my souvenir .

Along parts of the Swine there are booths with books,magazines,prints and postcards.

In Luxembourg Garden I saw artists at work,not selling, just painting the lovely space.

Do you have Musée Marmottan Monet on your list?  

1. Montmartre (attraction)
  2. Place du Tertre (attraction)
  3. Musée Marmottan Monet (attraction)
  4. Luxembourg Garden (attraction)

Michael from Las Vegas, Nevada

Hi Molly! Go to the 19th Quarter first and the Rue de l'Ourcq. (north part of it) to The Art Center "104 centquatre" fixed in the north of this quarter. It's a very popular and certainly one of the most interesting part of the city.

Then, you can walk from Le  Parc de la Villette to Pontoise/Bobigny (north-east suburbs), following Canal de l'Ourcq. Here, you can find others beautiful Street Art Spots. You can also following the channel by bicycle.

I also recommand you to experienced Petite Ceinture all around the city : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemin_de_fer_de_Petite_Ceinture. It's prohibited to visit it, but uncontrolled. So, it's ok and very secure. You have a lot of way to enter it.

Then, you can have a trip thru the 20th Quarter and Belleville St / Ménilmontant. Start from the north-east walking (Pyrénées Metro Station) to city downtown (Belleville-Ménilmontant). You have a crazy little street dedicated to street art just behind the bar Aux Folies, down the Belleville St.

And, don't forget, of course, to visit the famous stencils of La Butte aux Cailles (There are a lot of the famous street artist MissTic) in the 13th Quarter, close to Place d'Italie . But I recommand you to start from Corvisart Metro Station and to cross the mound by the Barrault St.

Have a nice street trip in Paris!

1. Rue de l'Ourcq (attraction)
  2. 104 centquatre (attraction)
  3. Parc de la Villette (attraction)
  4. Pontoise (city)
  5. Bobigny (city)
  6. Canal de l'Ourcq (attraction)
  7. Petite Ceinture (attraction)
  8. Belleville (neighborhood)
  9. Ménilmontant (neighborhood)
  10. Pyrénées (attraction)
  11. Aux Folies (restaurant)
  12. La Butte aux Cailles (restaurant)
  13. Place d'Italie (attraction)
  14. Corvisart (attraction)