Chris

Best neighbourhood to stay

Hey 

I am taking my wife to Paris for a weekend in March - which is the best neighbourhood to book an apartment in?

• With good restaurants and the real Parisian atmosphere
  • Easy reach for days out to museums and galleries
  • Romantic!

What is the best way to get from the ORLY airport to this area? 

Any help would be great! Thanks

You've received excellent advice! Those are two of my favorite areas! Just to throw one more in the mix--I would look at the Marais District. It's a wonderful, fun area with tons of restaurants, stores, and museums. 

One of the most famous restaurants in that area is a placed called L'As du Falafel. They always have a long line for take away but if you eat there you'll get seated very quickly. I also love Chez Julien which is the place to go if you want a really stunning, romantic setting. Not cheap, but lovely. I'm also a big fan of the Cafe Pont Louis Philippe, not for the food so much, but the atmosphere and the view of the Seine. 

There's a lovely little square there called the Place des Vosges that has a ton of art galleries (my favorite is one called Galerie Archange) and little shops that is so much fun to walk around. You said you were also interested in museums so I would check out the Maison victor hugo which is Victor Hugo's house and right on the square--he wrote "Les Miserables". It's a very interesting little home with a lot of really cool furniture and very interesting history. 

Another great museum there is the Musée Carnavalet which is about the history of Paris and is actually free. There's a stunning garden in the main courtyard that makes it worth seeing alone. The Musee de Cognacq-Jay is lovely and is in the area as well as is the Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature which is a sort of taxidermy meets the hunt museum (the last time I was there a fellow museum goer was literally smoking in the museum). The Musée Picasso which is one of my favorites (and I don't even like Picasso) is close by, too so I would check that out. 

I'd list the stores here but there are so many I wouldn't know where to start. 

Have a great time!!!

1. Marais District (attraction)
  2. L'As du Falafel (attraction)
  3. Chez Julien (restaurant)
  4. Cafe Pont Louis Philippe (attraction)
  5. Place des Vosges (attraction)
  6. Galerie Archange (attraction)
  7. Maison victor hugo (attraction)
  8. Musée Carnavalet (attraction)
  9. Musee de Cognacq-Jay (attraction)
  10. Musée de la Chasse et de la Nature (attraction)
  11. Musée Picasso (attraction)

Victoria from Riga

Chris, the most romantic and Parisian neighborhood is Saint-Germain.

You can visit Jardin des Tuileries, Sainte-Chapelle, Place VendômeLe Marais easily just by crossing a bridge. On this river bank explore  Rue ClerMarché de Raspail, Musée d'Orsay

From Orly, just get a bus and then metro.

If you also are up for a hotel, I recommend:

Hôtel Recamier (3 Bis Place Saint Sulpice)

Hotel Bel Ami - absolutely romantic location and lots of restaurants around. All favorite Hemingway's brasseries are steps away. Look for an apartment nearby.

Restaurants:

L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon - for special occasions. Booking in advance. Amazing food and experience. Personal fave.

Le Voltaire (27,Quai Voltaire, Paris) - locals and celebrities.

Brasserie Lipp, Café de Flore and Les Deux Magots (6, pl St-Germain-des-Pres) for drinks, Parisian atmosphere and people watching. 

Pierre Hermé (72, rue Bonaparte),  Ladurée or Gérard Mulot for best sweets.

Mariage Frères, Paris. - for best tea experience, bring home some if you are a tea lover.

Polidor for cuteness and drinks - it is quite touristy restaurant, Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" was filmed here:)

1. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  2. Sainte-Chapelle (attraction)
  3. Place Vendôme (attraction)
  4. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  5. Rue Cler (attraction)
  6. Musée d'Orsay (attraction)
  7. Hotel Bel Ami (hotel)
  8. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (restaurant)
  9. Brasserie Lipp (restaurant)
  10. Café de Flore (restaurant)
  11. Ladurée (restaurant)
  12. Mariage Frères, Paris. (attraction)
  13. Polidor (restaurant)
  14. Marché de Raspail (attraction)
  15. Le Voltaire (attraction)
  16. Les Deux Magots (restaurant)
  17. Pierre Hermé (restaurant)
  18. Gérard Mulot (restaurant)
  19. Hôtel Recamier (hotel)

Claire from Los Angeles

If you want to be close to the most stereotypical Parisian atmosphere with lots of sights to see, the arrondissement 1 & 4 are good bets with lots of public transportation, but will probably be more touristy and expensive. The Tuileries is always a must for me in Paris, as well as Notre-Dame de Paris and Centre Pompidou.

My boyfriend and I went to Paris a couple of years ago, and we stayed in the 20th arrondissement at Mama Shelter (though I kind of wished we'd been in an Airbnb instead). It was a quieter, hipper, artsier neighborhood where we felt less like tourists, and it was still easy to take the metro everywhere we wanted to go. Plus lots of wandering of Cimetière du Père-Lachaise!

The transportation is so easy there, I'd say get off the beaten path and spend your days exploring different areas of the city, though I guess if you're only there for a weekend, you want to be closest to the big deal stuff!

1. Tuileries (attraction)
  2. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  3. Centre Pompidou (attraction)
  4. Mama Shelter (hotel)
  5. Cimetière du Père-Lachaise (attraction)

Katharine from Avalon

I love renting an apartment on Ile Saint-Louis It's in the heart of the city and you can practically walk everywhere! I've had wonderful experiences with both http://www.parisaddress.com/ and http://www.absoluteaccommodations.com/. I usually rent for a week or two, not sure if they do weekend rentals. Either way Ile Saint-Louis is très romantique! Grab a bottle of wine sit on the quai and watch La Seine at night!

1. Ile Saint-Louis (attraction)

Anna

I believe you should book an apartment/hotel in a center of Paris, the 2, 3, 11 or 12 districts, because they are in a center (museum, bars, restaurant, lounge, Champs-Élysées, Eiffel Tower, ) and they are not so expensive.

1. Champs-Élysées (attraction)
  2. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Brew from Manhattan Beach

I 100% agree with Courtney that Le Marais is a top notch place to stay.  Its my favorite neighborhood in Paris.  Lots of cool restaurants, cafes, etc., easy to walk around, east to get to many different sites in the city, etc.  My wife and I stayed there for a romantic weekend.  We didn't stay in an apartment, but I have friends who have and loved it.

For restaurants, cafes and bars, the main street of Rue Vielle du Temple is packed with places.   I like Le Coude Fou  for dinner, but there are a bunch of good cafes and bars.  I've read some not so great reviews on Le Coude Fou, but we've been there twice, it was filled with locals and the seared tuna was incredible.  For bars and cafes, Petit Fer à Cheval  is a tiny place with big time character on one of my favorite streets in Paris, the aforementioned Rue Vieille du Temple, which is dotted with bars, cafes, and boutiques.  If Au Petit Fer a Cheval is too crowded, there are other good options all around, includingLa Belle Hortense , which is literally right across the street (30 and 31 Rue Vieille du Temple, respectively), and Les Philosophes  which has a great location on a corner for sitting outside and people watching.

If you don't find an apartment, we stayed Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais, which has an incredible location.  The metro station Hôtel de Ville is right around the corner (and a beautiful attraction in itself).  

It is easy to get to the Marais using the metro from Charles de Gaul, but I can't comment on Orly.  I will say that there are several metro station in the Marais, Chatelet/Les Halle being a major one.. .others include Sully Morland stop, St-Michel-Notre-Dame stop (near Notre Dame Cathedral), Hôtel de Ville (the main Paris City Hall).

If you end up staying in Le Marais, Courtney has great recommendations, including Place des Vosges, etc., but a great walking tour of sorts is to walk to the Seine and walk over to Ile Saint-Louis then across the little bridge to Île de la Cité, where the Notre Dame Cathedral is, then back across the Seine and on to the The LouvreJardin des Tuileries, etc.

1. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  2. Rue Vielle du Temple (attraction)
  3. Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais (hotel)
  4. Hôtel de Ville (attraction)
  5. Notre Dame Cathedral (attraction)
  6. Place des Vosges (attraction)
  7. Ile Saint-Louis (attraction)
  8. Île de la Cité (attraction)
  9. The Louvre (attraction)
  10. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)

Marnie from Conflans-sur-Anille

Residence Des Arts (website)

For 3 to 6 days, this is elegant, prime district at a good price. Definitely stay in the Latin Quarter, near St Germain, much more fun, loads of restaurants, museums, boutiques, art galleries and romantic too.

There is a bus from Orly to Les Invalides, which is about a 10 min walk down Blvd St Germain to the hotel residence.

1. Residence Des Arts (hotel)
  2. Latin Quarter (attraction)
  3. Orly (city)
  4. Les Invalides (attraction)

Jade from Paris

Hi there, you'd probably love the Le Marais, it's a beautiful little part of Paris with old streets, boutique shops and delicious food, and is also central to the big museums etc.

Montmartre and around Place des abbesses is also great if you don't mind being a little further away from the museums (think 20 mins on the metro) but it is really charming and very romantic.

1. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  2. Montmartre (attraction)
  3. Place des abbesses (attraction)

Renate from San Francisco Bay Area

Hi, Chris,

Yes, for a weekend trip and the desire to stay within "easy reach" of some major sites, try to stay near the center and the La Seine, Île de la Cité, 1st, 2nd, 5th, 6th, or 7th Arrondissement, I should think. Finding "romantic" in any of these areas shouldn't be difficult at all! You could probably just step outside your apartment or hotel room door and find it after a few paces! The 7th has Rue Cler with its pedestrian way and cafes and patisseries. The 5th has Jardin du Luxembourg and marvelous green areas. The Jardin des Tuileries outside the Louvre Museum, with its statuary and beautifully-designed gardens, is a wonderful place to walk hand-in-hand. 

If all you decided to do was spend a leisurely time in Paris with no strict agenda, I would say walk along the Seine, gaze up at the Eiffel Tower in the distance, and stroll through the Tuileries. If all you do is this, you will have had one of the most successful (and romantic) trips to Paris you can imagine!

1. La Seine (attraction)
  2. Île de la Cité (attraction)
  3. Rue Cler (attraction)
  4. Jardin du Luxembourg (attraction)
  5. Jardin des Tuileries (attraction)
  6. Louvre Museum (attraction)
  7. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Rob from Ventura

Montmartre Paris 75018 Montmartre is in the 18th district and is the 'bohemian' area. It is busy, lively and a fun place to be.The Metro stops at Place Pigalle, which I recall is very artsy. There are several small hotels in the area.

1. Montmartre (attraction)
  2. Place Pigalle (attraction)

fernando from Ecuador

6th Arrondissement, rent an apartment in Airbnb

I would take a cab

1. 6th Arrondissement (neighborhood)