Joseph
Washington, DC

Paris, Rome

Best itinerary for 5 days covering Paris and Rome

Could someone suggest the best 5-day itinerary for covering Paris and Rome?

That seems somewhat tight... possible but tight! 

You can see most of the main sights in Paris in a day, busy but possible.

Walk from the Notre-Dame de Parisalong the river, you'll get to the The Louvre. Walk through the Tuileries until you hit the Champs-Élysées, you'll see the Arc de Triomphe in the distance -- walk until you get there. From the L'Arc walk to the Eiffel Tower. If you want to go inside the Louvre you probably want at least half a day to wander. Palace of Versailles is also a great site but it's slightly out of town and you'll need a whole day to get there and visit. If you want a 3rd day in Paris you can discover Montmartre (Moulin Rouge and Basilique du Sacre-Coeur). 

In Rome we did the main sites in a day (busy but possible), however if you have 2 days you could do the Vatican City (Vatican Museums and St. Peter's Basilica) and area for one day and then the ColosseumRoman ForumPantheon, Rome, Italy, etc. the next day.

1. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  2. The Louvre (attraction)
  3. Tuileries (attraction)
  4. Champs-Élysées (attraction)
  5. Arc de Triomphe (attraction)
  6. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
  7. Palace of Versailles (attraction)
  8. Montmartre (attraction)
  9. Moulin Rouge (attraction)
  10. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)
  11. Vatican City (city)
  12. Vatican Museums (attraction)
  13. St. Peter's Basilica (attraction)
  14. Colosseum (attraction)
  15. Roman Forum (attraction)
  16. Pantheon, Rome, Italy (attraction)

Mario from Vicenza, Italy

Both Paris and Rome would be worth visiting for a full five days each. I wouldn't add other cities into the mix. If you plan to split your five days into  two days in Paris and three in Rome, here's a tentative itinerary for Rome:

Day 1

Assuming that you start from Stazione Roma Termini you will walk around the ancient roman city, starting from National Roman Museum - Baths of Diocletian (it will take some hours to visit it) then walk (about 30 minutes) to Colle PalatinoColosseoCirco Massimo, and the Bocca della Verità where you will spend the rest of the day. These are all near each other. Along the way you may want to visit San Pietro in Vincoli Basilica.

Day 2

Time to explore the other side of the Tiber. Visit Vatican City. It will take the whole day if you include the museums as well as the main cathedral Roma S.Pietro.

Day 3

More relaxed day: visit Villa Borghese, eat in Trastevere, maybe go to Gianicolo to get a view on the city from above.

3. Stazione Roma Termini (attraction)
  4. National Roman Museum - Baths of Diocletian (attraction)
  5. Colle Palatino (attraction)
  6. Colosseo (attraction)
  7. Circo Massimo (attraction)
  8. Bocca della Verità (attraction)
  9. San Pietro in Vincoli Basilica (attraction)
  10. Vatican City (city)
  11. Roma S.Pietro (attraction)
  12. Villa Borghese (attraction)
  13. Trastevere (neighborhood)

My question is do you think this is the last time that you will get to Europe? If so then I guess you need to jam it in. The short answer is you can't do Paris and Rome in 5 days. You can barely do Paris or Rome in 5 days. I would really pick one and if I were you I would walk to the Arc de Triomphe. Otherwise, my advice would be don't do that again, don't go inside a lot of museums, you simply just won't have time. You will have time to do a cursory walk around both of these cities and just feel the flavor of the cities. Enjoy the food, the music, the people. If you insist on going to The Louvre, I've got a tip: walk to the Arc de Triomphe, walk down the staircase on either side. Look for the tabac shop. Buy tickets for any and all the museums that you are going to see there. You avoid all the lines and avoid the cost of a pair that you will never be able to use in 5 days. So please, think big and contemplate the fact that you'll be back again in a couple years and choose one city.

2. Rome (attraction)
  3. Arc de Triomphe (attraction)
  4. The Louvre (attraction)

Erin from Brooklyn

Hey Joseph! Paris is one of my favorite places on the planet. There is so much to do, and it varies based on whether you want to see the major sites or experience the city in a more local, intimate way. But I would suggest peeking at some of my favorite spots I wrote up here: http://www.carryonto.com/longstays/paris. Also hipparis.com is a great resources, again depending on what you're looking for :)

Polly from Washington, DC

I agree with Brenda, that five days is the perfect amount of time for Paris or Rome, but not both. That said, it's not impossible - we spent about the same amount of time in each city on the whirlwind package tour I did in high school. Basing my itinerary around that idea...

Day One visit Vatican City (St. Peter's, the Sistine Chapel, museums), have dinner near the Pantheon and stroll around Piazza Navona.

Day Two visit the Colosseum and Roman Forum, in the evening walk to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps.

Day Three catch a morning flight (if possible) to Paris. Check in to your lodgings, then go out to see Montmartre at night.

Day Four go to a museum (possibly the The Louvre) in the morning, visit Notre Dame, possibly Sainte-Chapelle, catch a sunset cruise on the Seine if the weather is nice.

Day Five find a bus or walking tour of the city, seeing Place de la Concorde, Champs-Élysées, the Arc de Triomphe. End the evening at the Eiffel Tower.

Just be aware that at this pace, you may come home needing a vacation from your vacation!

1. Vatican City (city)
  2. Pantheon (attraction)
  3. Piazza Navona (attraction)
  4. Colosseum (attraction)
  5. Roman Forum (attraction)
  6. Trevi Fountain (attraction)
  7. Spanish Steps (attraction)
  8. Montmartre (attraction)
  9. The Louvre (attraction)
  10. Notre Dame (neighborhood)
  11. Sainte-Chapelle (attraction)
  12. Place de la Concorde (attraction)
  13. Champs-Élysées (attraction)
  14. Arc de Triomphe (attraction)
  15. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Jacqui from London

I would spend 5 days in each of these cities! But if you don't have the time, the above answers seem to have wrapped it up. 

I have put together a 2 or 3 day walking itinerary of Paris, which you can find here: http://www.neverendinghoneymoon.net/paris-2/ 

J