Susan

Best fine dining in Paris?

I'm going to Paris for a weekend Feb 5-8 and while we know there's a number of more casual places we definitely want to check out (Frenchie, Le Chateaubriand, Le Comptoir - if anyone has tips on getting into Le Comptoir for dinner let me know), I'd love to know one fine dining spot we can and should book in advance.

And something not Alain Ducasse or Joel Robuchon but more modern and interesting. 

Jenifer from Berlin

Sounds like a fun trip! Le Chateaubriand was great! Such a good deal too! I hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.  

My recommendation isn't modern, but it sure is delicious. I chose Arpège (L'Arpege) as my one ultra fancy meal during my last trip to Paris mostly due to the fact that the owner/executive chef is a legend when it comes to French cuisine. Imagine my surprise when he came out to greet every single person dining that evening. I almost fainted! I went in January 2013 which happened to be black truffle season so the menu included loads of truffle. Including this Comte aged 3 years topped with about a 1/4 oz of truffle which is still the best cheese course I've ever had.

He's also the creator of the famous Arpege egg, which you might have seen on some fine dining menus before. I could happily eat a dozen of these!

Enjoy your culinary adventure! 

1. Arpège (restaurant)

If you're looking for someplace modern I would try Camelia (inside Mandarin Oriental). It's a little on the fusion-y side which I usually don't like but the food is fabulous and the atmosphere is just amazing. I doubt they'll have it open in February but there's a table that's outside in a little bird cage that's absolutely adorable. 

Ciel de Paris is the new hotspot in Paris but I have yet to go there. It's in the Tour Montparnasse and the view of the city is amazing from there. 

This isn't super high-end but a friend took me to La Gare and it was fabulous. It's in an old train station but it's very elegant and definitely has the atmosphere of a high-end restaurant. I had the pepper steak and it was fantastic. 

1. Camelia (inside Mandarin Oriental) (restaurant)
  2. Ciel de Paris (restaurant)
  3. Tour Montparnasse (attraction)
  4. La Gare (restaurant)

Michelle from Melbourne

LIke Courtney, I've also been to Camelia and the food there as well as the courtyard containing the bird cage is quite lovely. The chef, Thierry Marx also has Sur Mesure inside the Mandarin Oriental which is the more luxe/fine dining experience.

If you're after something a bit out there you could try Pierre Gagnaire on the Champs-Elysees.

A restaurant that comes very highly recommended by one of my favourite chefs in Singapore, Andre Chiang (of Restaurant Andre) is L'Astrance (although I haven't been able to get a table!!) http://www.astrancerestaurant.com/