Natalie
Gilroy

Best district/neighborhood to rent an apartment for a family of 5

• We are spending 5 days in Paris towards the end of June
  • We are a family of five with three young adults. Their ages are 17, 19, and 21.
  • We want to find an apartment in Paris that will accommodate us
  • We want to find a place that is around 200 dollars per night.
  • We are without a car, so we want to have easy access to major attractions (at least via metro)
  • We are interested in shopping, beautiful surroundings (such as interesting architecture), and good food.
  • However we don't want to be in a super touristy/expensive area.
  • We want a place that we will for sure feel safe, and that we will feel comfortable to walk around.

What are the best districts/ neighborhoods in Paris that would fulfill these requirements?

Belinda from South Carolina

Check out Vacations in Paris website. They are based in NJ and you pay in dollars. You get the keys before you leave US. They have apartments all over  Paris. I have stayed in 2 different ones in the 7 th arrondissement near the Eiffel Tower and two Metro stations. This is a more residential area but lots of cafes and bakeries.

1. Eiffel Tower (attraction)

Steve

Stay in central Paris and all your transportation needs can be taken care of by the Metro and busses. You won't want or need a car, and attendant parking hassles.

My two favorite neighborhoods in Paris, all with lots of available rental flats, one of my favorites is the 6th Arrondissement, home to Rue Cler, one of the best market streets in Paris. 

The 7th is home to the Eiffel Tower, and  just around the corner on the Champ de Mars — Tour Eiffel you'll find acres of inviting Parisian gardens waiting for a picnic.

My other favorite neighborhood is Le Marais

The right bank district, not far from Notre Dame Cathedral

and The Louvre serves up a moveable feast of fashion boutiques, quiet cafés, art galleries, narrow streets, leafy squares like the Place des Vosges, Jewish bakeries, aristocratic châteaux, nightlife, and real Parisians. It's the perfect place to appreciate the zest and flair of this great city. 

You can find rental apartments in your price range at airbnb.com or vrbo.com  and deal directly with the owners.

2. Rue Cler (attraction)
  3. Eiffel Tower (attraction)
  4. Champ de Mars — Tour Eiffel (attraction)
  5. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  6. Notre Dame Cathedral (attraction)
  7. The Louvre (attraction)
  8. Place des Vosges (attraction)
  9. 6th Arrondissement (neighborhood)

Hi, Natalie,

It's a bit hard to find a really convenient area in Paris that isn't at least a little touristy, but here are some ideas that I think will work:

Latin Quarter - I lived here for a while when I was about 22 and LOVED it! It's mostly populated by students and has a very young, very bohemian feel to it. Because there are so many young people there it can also be a bit cheaper than the rest of the city (or not--just depends). It's got a ton of great, reasonable restaurants and markets and a great night life. Very, very safe as well--I used to walk home by myself pretty late at night and always felt safe.

Saint-Germain-des-Prés - this is a tad more upscale than the Latin Quarter but very well located, lively, and extremely safe. You'll have to dig around a bit more to find something under $200 but it's probably doable if you go for an apartment rather than a hotel. It's loaded with great shopping and restaurants and there are tons of Metro stops there. 

Le Marais - this is my all-time most favorite part of the city. It's almost like it's own little village with endless little boutiques, museums, restaurants, squares, places to hear music, people watching, etc., etc., etc. I would think kids that age would absolutely love it, especially because you can walk around literally all night long and feel completely safe. Unfortunately, it's gotten a bit pricey, but I'm going to guess that you can find something for $200/night if you look hard enough. Bastille - I have to be honest, this is actually not one of my favorite parts of the city but it's less touristy than the others and it's considerably cheaper. It's also pretty convenient in terms of metro stations, supermarkets, etc. I don't think you'll find it a great place for walking around, but it's a good neighborhood to use as a base for visiting the rest of the city. Not my first choice, but a good option. 

1. Latin Quarter (attraction)
  2. Saint-Germain-des-Prés (neighborhood)
  3. Le Marais (neighborhood)
  4. Bastille (attraction)

Vid

Hey Natalie !

We rented an apartment in Montmartre and absolutely loved it. we have been to Paris 4 times already and always visited Montmartre since it's one of the coolest areas in Paris, but the last time we were in Paris, we actually stayed here. 

You can read about our experience: http://www.bruisedpassports.com/wheres/gowithoh-apartment-rentals-paris

You should definitely be able to find an apartment within $200 per night. We have a code for the place we rented with, so happy to provide that to you if you do decide to rent an apartment with the people we rented with.

Montmartre is definitely safe and one of our best experiences was hanging out at Basilique du Sacre-Coeur after dark, once the thousands of tourists had left. LOVED it.

Happy  to answer any other questions you might have about Paris.

Cheers

1. Montmartre (attraction)
  2. Basilique du Sacre-Coeur (attraction)

Juli from Salem (Massachusetts)

We recently stayed in Vincennes which was super-convenient to the heart of Paris via the Metro -- only about 10 minutes.  We stayed at a friend's place, but imagine you could find exactly what you are looking for in this cool neighborhood.

1. Vincennes (neighborhood)

Stanislas from Saclay

Hello

As any large city paris is expensive. Check out airbnb. The public transportation is good and safe so getting around won't cost a fortune.

Taxis can be expensive and hard to find. If stuck after the subway close you can book a chauffered car on Snapcar (get the app)

In paris I would rent in the 6th Arrondissement (Saint Germain) or the 16e arrondissement – Passy is very posh. Most areas are safe, just don't rent in the RER Châtelet – Les Halles [A,B,D], not to cool at night.

You can also decide to rent a flat just outside paris in the suburb as long as you have a metro or at least an RER (local train) prices will be be cheaper.

Look at Issy-les-Moulineaux, Boulogne-Billancourt...

Good luck and enjoy this beautiful city

Stan

1. 16e arrondissement – Passy (attraction)
  2. RER Châtelet – Les Halles [A,B,D] (attraction)
  3. Issy-les-Moulineaux (city)
  4. Boulogne-Billancourt (city)
  5. 6th Arrondissement (neighborhood)