Joyce
Singapore

Paris, France

Best souvenirs from supermarkets in France?

Hi, I will be travelling to Paris in a months time but my family prefers food rather than tacky souvenirs. Therefore I am planning to shop in supermarkets for their gifts. Anything that you guys could recommend? Things to go along with beer will be good! 

Hi Joyce,

How about, instead of a supermarket, you visit a chocolatier and buy some great chocolates or macarons? I never leave Paris without something from Michel Cluizel or La Maison du ChocolatAnother great shop for gifts is Pain de Sucre where you can pick up some macarons, multicoloured marshmallows or heart shaped tarts.

1. Michel Cluizel (restaurant)
  2. La Maison du Chocolat (restaurant)
  3. Pain de Sucre (restaurant)

Eva from New York City

Definitely. Will answer the question but agree to check some of the amazing food purveyors too - not just supermarkets. My best Paris bargain is the glass test tube with vanilla pods at G. Detou

Some things to buy - sea salts, pimente de Espelette, lentils de puy, foie gras in cans (I prefer buying it from the people from Perigord at the Bastille market but have bought supermarket foie). You can also get good chocolate bars from all over Europe (Valor, Milka), and Monoprix has great cookies. Their own brand. I also bring back Damann lapsang souchong tea, but think I get that at a specialty store. 

For bakers, you really must go to G. Detou.  Shelves and shelves of decorating items. They have everything. That's what the name means (it's a play on words in French). And, a lot of chocolate, mustards, salts, cans of foie and other pates at discount. 

1. G. Detou (attraction)

Whenever I'm there I stock up on two things:

This mayonnaise:

http://epicerie.cz/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=2560

which you can find at any Monoprix Saint Michel

and this mustard:

http://www.maille.com/fr_FR/moutarde-au-cognac/19839601.html

which you can find at Boutique Maille.

I would also go to La Grande Épicerie de Paris which is basically a food hall at the Le Bon Marché where they have all kinds of speciality stuff. Check Monoprix first, though as their prices will be much, much better. 

1. Monoprix Saint Michel (attraction)
  2. Boutique Maille (restaurant)
  3. La Grande Épicerie de Paris (attraction)
  4. Le Bon Marché (attraction)

David from Austin (Texas)

La Grande Epicerie de Paris at 38 Rue de Sèvres is an extraordinary grocery in Paris to find unique and interesting supermarket items.  It's an incredible place, with all sorts of unique items (mostly French, but also with sections for different countries around the world). 

It's also a great place to buy items for a picnic lunch in Paris.  It's walking distance from the Jardin du Luxemboug. 

1. 38 Rue de Sèvres (attraction)

Or, go to a local drugstore. They have wonderful bath salts, inexpensive hand lotions and some lavender oils and soaps from Provence that were fresh and lovely and really inexpensive. They even wrapped everything in fancy paper! Everybody loved what I brought them and stuff was small enough to fit into my suitcase and carry home.

Edna from Paris

I always bring back JAM! You could choose a good brand in the grocery, or go to La Chambre aux Confitures which is just a shop full of jams -- and they don't mind if you sample all the cool combinations (I know from experience)! For a friend's wedding, I once brought back jam with champagne in it :)

You can also bring back macarons from Pierre Hermé Paris or Ladurée , they can keep for a few days (but still, most enjoyable if eaten as soon as possible).

And of course, there's cheese, so much cheese...

Maybe this will help as well: 

http://souvenirfinder.com/2015/01/16/top-31-french-supermarket-souvenirs-buy-monoprix/ 

1. La Chambre aux Confitures (restaurant)
  2. Pierre Hermé Paris (restaurant)
  3. Ladurée (restaurant)

Missy from Newport

Hi, I would look for honey made from lavender flowers from Provence.  Lavender honey is excellent drizzled over nice French cheeses. 

1. Provence (attraction)

Joan from Arizona

I love to buy Persillade which is a mixture of garlic and parsley in the spice section. You can't find it here in the states. Also look for various Knorr and Maggi cubes of bouquet garni, Persillade, shrimp, mushroom, etc. and tins of Demi-glacé. There are so many wonderful things to discover and bring back for yourself and your foodie friends.

Haleigh from Paris

Hey Joyce! Like the others I would recommend to go somewhere else. Fauchon has an amazing selection of gourmet foods where you can get them French jam, amazing chocolates, teas, coffee and more that are delicious and unique to the country. I would also try La Grande Épicerie de Paris where they have a great selection of gourmet French foods that you can take home. Lastly, if you do end up at the super market, there are some very cute packets of Vanilla Sugar used for baking in France that are a cute authentic local thing here that I have never seen in the US. I always bring them back to my mom. Have a great trip!

1. Fauchon (restaurant)
  2. La Grande Épicerie de Paris (attraction)

Abigail from Paris

Hi Joyce,

Supermarkets are definitely a great place to pick up nice local gifts. Some of my favorite things to offer from France include little pots of fleur de sel or herbes de Provence, gourmet mustards, La Mère Poulard cookies (you can often find these in cute collector tins), Bonne Maman mini jams and Kinder, Milka or Côte d’Or chocolate. If you want something savory to go with beer, look for snacks like TUC, Twinuts, ApéroCracks and Curly.

Can't go wrong with chocolate!! There's also a lot of nice oils and vinegars, fleur de sel, mustard...  

Roxanne from Montreal

If I was in the receiving end, I would love to receive Foie Gras. No, not "paté" but the real thing.  All good fine groceries or specialeties shop have it. Buy it in tins then you won't have problems with customs. It can be very expensive so a small tin is anough.  To saver on special occasions !

My girls still have the felt berets that they bought at Monoprix nearly 10 years ago! Cheap, cute, and very French!