Phil
Valencia (California)

Anniversary and stay for one month in Paris?

Is it feasible for a married-couple to quickly get in the church of Notre-Dame and renew our wedding-vows in mid-April this year? My vision is not a big ceremony (only my wife and I, really). Basically, have a local-Parisian priest to officiate and hire a local-Parisian freelance photographer to shoot that memorable photo.

Since we are planning to stay for one month, is there a recommended form of accommodation that's cost effective for a family of four-to-five (3 adults and two children ages 2 and 5)?

Erin from Brooklyn

Hey Phil - this sounds like such a lovely plan! However, I agree that it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to renew vows at Notre Dame next month. I think you would need a very long lead time and it would be costly. But do check out some smaller - still breathtaking - churches in Paris, maybe the American Church in Paris. I believe they do view renewals often.

And if you're interested in renting an apartment and wanted a recommendation aside from AirBnb, I suggest checking out Haven in Paris. Full disclosure: I work there... but it really is great! :)

1. American Church in Paris (attraction)

Sandrine from Auvergne

Well, if you need a photographer, feel free to contact me (I'll be back in Paris early May- will you be around still? - I'm French, traveler, from Paris but traveling abroad these days)

My website and wedding photography are here : http://sandrineboutry.com/wedding/

As for Notre-Dame de Paris, I don't think it will be possible : most of the weddings are booked really early in advance, but well, if you want a photo there, we can probably set up something anyway :)

As for accomodation, I would suggest airBnB of course, but also, there is that : http://www.fiap.asso.fr/, it is clean, located in a safe area, in Southern Paris district (14th), and quite nice (and cheap). This is a place I always recommend :)

Hope this will help !

2. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)

If you can get into the Notre-Dame de Paris I assume you'd need to give some fair notice, might have a fee associated with it and you'd have to have your catholic baptismal certificates. If you can't get into the Notre Dame in Paris there is a Notre Dame in Reims which is less than an hour away and it's the Notre Dame where coronations took place for the kings of France. It's much quieter (tourist wise).

If no luck with Notre Dame there are plenty of beautiful churches in Paris, hope you find something that works!!

1. Notre-Dame de Paris (attraction)
  2. Reims (city)

Michelle from Melbourne

This website might help you. Not sure Notre Dame would be available but they'd be great people to ask.

http://franceweddingplanner.com/vow-renewals/

In terms of your accommodation, I think you should be looking at Airbnb. There's a great range of properties available. One thing you should be aware of is that a lot of the buildings don't have elevators so if you have strollers for your children you may need to carry things up and down a fair number of stairs.

Good luck!