Nalin
Cypress

Nalin from Cypress asked

Quick weekend gataway this winter

We are planning a quick gataway trip down to the dessert. We'd appreciate tips/recommendations on food, places, things to do, hotel, etc. We are planning on leaving Friday night and coming back on Sunday. Any suggestions on outdoor activities such as hiking, rock climbing, biking, etc would be really helpful.

Palm Springs

Serena from San Francisco

Hi Nalin, I grew up in Rancho Mirage and I go back to visit about once a year (if not more), so while I'm not a real local, I know a little bit about the area :)

For hikes, my favorites are in the Indian Canyons There  are many hiking trails, ranging from easy to difficult, so there's really something for everyone. You do have to pay an entrance fee but I think it's worth it. My favorite is Murray Canyon.

Some friends of mine recently stayed at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel and loved it... it's a smaller boutique hotel that is very art deco and definitely gives you the "Palm Springs" vibe.

For food, Trio Restaurant and Farm are both great. Cheeky's is great for brunch.

I personally think the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is a bit overrated, but I have friends that love it and consider it a must. 

Hope this helps a bit!

Nalin
Thanks Serena, this is very helpful. I had no idea what I was going to do there. Have you done any activities at Joshua Tree park?

Serena
Regarding Joshua Park, I did some hiking and camping there growing up, but I haven't been there for years so I'm really not that familiar. It's beautiful, but keep in mind it's a good 45 minutes to an hour drive from the desert.

Nalin
Great stuff Serena, Thanks.

Hey, Nalin,

You'll love the  Palm Springs area. While I'm not a big "outdoor" person, I do love the area so here are some ideas:

Hotels:

My two favorite hotels in the PS area are the  The Parker, Palm Springs and  Viceroy Palm Springs. Both are very chic and can be a bit of a scene, but there's always great people watching and if you're going to Palm Springs, you might as well have the true Palm Springs experience. The Parker was decorated by Jonathan Adler and the Viceroy by Kelly Werstler. There's a great outdoor restaurant at the Parker called  Norma's that I love that's worth checking out. Their spa,  PSYC Spa is really good but wildly expensive. 

If you're willing to stay just outside PS, I would definitely check out  La Quinta Resort & Club. Absolutely one of my all-time favorite places to stay. It's about 30 minutes outside PS, but so, so great and has so much history (Frank Capra used to come here to write). Also, there  Spa La Quinta is the best spa I've ever been go and spas are kind of my thing. :)

Restaurants:

I love  Sherman's Deli & Bakery, although I have a friend who tells me I'm nuts. Personally, I think they have the only decent lox in the state, but maybe that's just me. There's an Italian restaurant in a weird little strip mall called  Caffe Italia that is cheap and incredible--I go there every time I'm in town and even get an order of their spaghetti to take on the road. The food is insanely good for the price. Back when I used to eat meat a friend took me to  Kaiser Grille and I remember it being pretty good but not as good as  LG's Steakhouse which is just insanely incredible. 

Have a great time!!!

Nalin
Thanks Courtney. This is gonna be very helpful.

Courtney
My pleasure--have fun!!!

1. Palm Springs (city)
  2. The Parker, Palm Springs (hotel)
  3. Viceroy Palm Springs (hotel)
  4. Norma's (restaurant)
  5. PSYC Spa (attraction)
  6. La Quinta Resort & Club (hotel)
  7. Spa La Quinta (attraction)
  8. Sherman's Deli & Bakery (restaurant)
  9. Caffe Italia (restaurant)
  10. Kaiser Grille (restaurant)
  11. LG's Steakhouse (attraction)
James from Los Angeles

Take the Tram. It's beautiful and a fun day.  There's also a great artistic community there.  And don't forget to visit the giant statue of Marilyn Monroe! Forever Marilyn

1. Forever Marilyn (attraction)