Nalin
Cypress

Palm Springs

Quick weekend gataway this winter

We are planning a quick gataway trip down to the dessert. We'd appreciate tips/recommendations on food, places, things to do, hotel, etc. We are planning on leaving Friday night and coming back on Sunday. Any suggestions on outdoor activities such as hiking, rock climbing, biking, etc would be really helpful.

Serena from San Francisco

Hi Nalin, I grew up in Rancho Mirage and I go back to visit about once a year (if not more), so while I'm not a real local, I know a little bit about the area :)

For hikes, my favorites are in the Indian Canyons There  are many hiking trails, ranging from easy to difficult, so there's really something for everyone. You do have to pay an entrance fee but I think it's worth it. My favorite is Murray Canyon.

Some friends of mine recently stayed at The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel and loved it... it's a smaller boutique hotel that is very art deco and definitely gives you the "Palm Springs" vibe.

For food, Trio Restaurant and Farm are both great. Cheeky's is great for brunch.

I personally think the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway is a bit overrated, but I have friends that love it and consider it a must. 

Hope this helps a bit!

1. Rancho Mirage (city)
  2. Indian Canyons (attraction)
  3. The Saguaro Palm Springs, a Joie de Vivre Hotel (hotel)
  4. Palm Springs (city)
  5. Trio Restaurant (restaurant)
  6. Farm (restaurant)
  7. Cheeky's (hotel)
  8. Palm Springs Aerial Tramway (attraction)

Hey, Nalin,

You'll love the  Palm Springs area. While I'm not a big "outdoor" person, I do love the area so here are some ideas:

Hotels:

My two favorite hotels in the PS area are the  The Parker, Palm Springs and  Viceroy Palm Springs. Both are very chic and can be a bit of a scene, but there's always great people watching and if you're going to Palm Springs, you might as well have the true Palm Springs experience. The Parker was decorated by Jonathan Adler and the Viceroy by Kelly Werstler. There's a great outdoor restaurant at the Parker called  Norma's that I love that's worth checking out. Their spa,  PSYC Spa is really good but wildly expensive. 

If you're willing to stay just outside PS, I would definitely check out  La Quinta Resort & Club. Absolutely one of my all-time favorite places to stay. It's about 30 minutes outside PS, but so, so great and has so much history (Frank Capra used to come here to write). Also, there  Spa La Quinta is the best spa I've ever been go and spas are kind of my thing. :)

Restaurants:

I love  Sherman's Deli & Bakery, although I have a friend who tells me I'm nuts. Personally, I think they have the only decent lox in the state, but maybe that's just me. There's an Italian restaurant in a weird little strip mall called  Caffe Italia that is cheap and incredible--I go there every time I'm in town and even get an order of their spaghetti to take on the road. The food is insanely good for the price. Back when I used to eat meat a friend took me to  Kaiser Grille and I remember it being pretty good but not as good as  LG's Steakhouse which is just insanely incredible. 

Have a great time!!!

1. Palm Springs (city)
  2. The Parker, Palm Springs (hotel)
  3. Viceroy Palm Springs (hotel)
  4. Norma's (restaurant)
  5. PSYC Spa (attraction)
  6. Spa La Quinta (attraction)
  7. Sherman's Deli & Bakery (restaurant)
  8. Caffe Italia (restaurant)
  9. Kaiser Grille (restaurant)
  10. LG's Steakhouse (attraction)
  11. La Quinta Resort & Club (hotel)

James from Los Angeles

Take the Tram. It's beautiful and a fun day.  There's also a great artistic community there.  And don't forget to visit the giant statue of Marilyn Monroe! Forever Marilyn

1. Forever Marilyn (attraction)