Tari

Palm Desert, Crescent City

CA route planning

Drive off interstate from Palm Desert to Crescent City CA

Patree

There are very few miles of four-lane roads in Mendocino, Humboldt (California), Del Norte County  Counties, even if the roads are called interstates.  The exception to this is  I-5 which goes north to Seattle at least.  Close to the ocean, the only two roads are Route 1, which doesn't go past Leggett (other parts of it farther north have fallen into the ocean), and Route 101.  Very wild and beautiful up here!

1. Mendocino (city)
  2. Humboldt (California) (attraction)
  3. Del Norte County (attraction)
  4. Seattle (city)
  5. Leggett (attraction)

I'm not sure what you enjoy doing, exactly, but here are a few of my favorite stops along the way in no particular order:

Obviously you should see San Francisco. Absolutely one of the most beautiful cities on the planet. If you go and you can splurge on a hotel for a night, my favorite is the Palace Hotel or at least have tea in their restaurant, the Garden Court. 

I'd also try to see Carmel By the Sea which is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been in my life. 

Cayucos - this is a "blink and you'll miss it" kind of place with like three places to eat but it's tourist free and a great place to find an AirBnB if you're into that. Try the tacos at Ruddell's Smokehouseif you go. 

San Luis Obispo- much more lively than Cayucos but well worth seeing. There's a great little outdoor restaurant there called Novo Restaurant & Lounge that makes these incredible martinis with bacon. 

Solvangis a little Danish town that is a total hoot. If you go, check out the aebleskiver cafe and try some aebleskiver which is this highly addictive pancake thing. 

Paso Robles - you like wine you must check out some of the wineries here. Most of them will let you bring your own lunches and sit at their picnic tables. One of my faves is Brecon Estate. It's very laid back with a cute little bocce ball area. You should definitely stop at the Pasolivo Olive Oil ranch. I bought a little jar of truffle salt there that is beyond incredible. 

I also have to put in a plug for my favorite little town, Cambria. It's like the little town from the show, Newhart if you're old enough to remember that one. Cambria Wineryis a great place as well. 

Santa Barbara is also really beautiful although they've had a lot of trouble lately with all the mudslides and fires lately. 

I think I'm in the minority here, but I loved seeing San Simeon but I usually love what everyone hates. 

And I know I've said this 2,000 times on this site but I LOVE Carmel By the Sea. There are endless great places to eat there, but two of my favorites are: Patisserie Boissiere Restaurant & Patisserie and Katy's Place.

1. San Francisco (city)
  2. Palace Hotel (hotel)
  3. Carmel By the Sea (city)
  4. Cayucos (city)
  5. Ruddell's Smokehouse (restaurant)
  6. San Luis Obispo (city)
  7. Novo Restaurant & Lounge (restaurant)
  8. Solvang (city)
  9. Paso Robles (city)
  10. Brecon Estate (restaurant)
  11. Pasolivo Olive Oil (attraction)
  12. Cambria (city)
  13. Cambria Winery (restaurant)
  14. Santa Barbara (city)
  15. Patisserie Boissiere Restaurant & Patisserie (restaurant)
  16. Katy's Place (restaurant)