Julien

PUBS!

Going to London in July—what pubs can you recommend?

I had asbolutely no interest in the city's pubs...until I got there. I literally went to one and was hooked on them--on the architecture, on the atmosphere, on the history, and especially on the fish & chips. These are my all-time favorites (with the exception of the last one, which I keep missing). 

• The Blackfriar– incredible Art Nouveau pub—worth it to just go and see the architecture. 

• The George– fantastic little pub that was all but destroyed in the war. They’ve done a great job of re-modeling it and the food is great!

• Princess Louise – one of the most adorable Victorian pubs in all of London. Just re-vamped, it’s still very close to the way it was when first opened. They have really cute little cubicles for groups of people to sit in. If you’re on one side of the bar and want to go to the other you literally have to leave the pub and enter again on the other side.

• Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese– oldest pub in London. Great food and an even better atmosphere. Don’t miss seeing the downstairs area. 

• The Lamb—this pub allows for great views of the Ledenhall Market. It’s not as gritty as the others, but it’s still pretty fantastic. 
  • Cittie of Yorke–somehow I always end up missing this one when I go, but I’m determined to make it next time. It’s just mock Tudor but it’s still a million years old and I’ve heard it’s incredible.

• Also--pubs are the easiest places to get robbed in London so whatever you do, make sure to watch your purse at all times. I was robbed at a pub in London and ended up having to stay for a few extra days because my passport was stolen as well.

1. The Blackfriar (attraction)
  2. The George (restaurant)
  3. Princess Louise (attraction)
  4. Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (restaurant)
  5. The Lamb (attraction)
  6. Cittie of Yorke (attraction)