Ottawa

What's the best neighborhood in Ottawa for a first time visitor?

I've never been to Ottawa and I'm a little overwhelmed by all the hotel options. I'd like to stay in a hotel that is central and gives me good sense of what Ottawa is like. I'd love to know where locals tell their friends to stay when they visit, and why those areas and hotels are special. thanks!

Stephanie from Ottawa

Pick any of the hotels located downtown between Elgin St and Bay St You'll be walking distance from a ton of places to see, shopping and the best restaurants. ARC The.Hotel Ottawa and The Westin Ottawa are personal favourites!

1. Elgin St (attraction)
  2. Bay St (attraction)
  3. ARC The.Hotel Ottawa (hotel)
  4. The Westin Ottawa (hotel)

Andrea from Winnipeg, Manitoba

The The Westin Ottawa is the best located hotel, followed by the Lord Elgin Hotel and Hotel Indigo Ottawa Downtown City Centre . The Westin however is the best located. It's right across the street from the Fairmont Chateau Laurier which is great and historic and of course perfectly located. However, it is probably very expensive and apparently the rooms are old and small. The Westin is overall best choice. Novotel Ottawa is very well located and is a bit cheaper, however, it's a cheaper feel too.

I wouldn't go deeper into downtown Ottawa, as it's pretty dead in the evenings and on weekends. Another option for cheaper hotels but still walking distance to the sightseeing would be a bit further down Elgin street such as the The Business Inn , but sometimes the clientele there is pretty rowdy. There are some good pubs and restaurants on Elgin St (try town. for dinner - my favorite) or The Manx Pub or Sir John A Pubpub. 

1. The Westin Ottawa (hotel)
  2. Lord Elgin Hotel (hotel)
  3. Hotel Indigo Ottawa Downtown City Centre (hotel)
  4. Fairmont Chateau Laurier (hotel)
  5. Novotel Ottawa (hotel)
  6. The Business Inn (hotel)
  7. Elgin St (attraction)
  8. town. (restaurant)
  9. The Manx Pub (restaurant)
  10. Sir John A Pub (restaurant)