Polly
Washington, DC

Ottawa

What to do in Ottawa on a five hour layover?

I have a layover in Ottawa tomorrow and am wondering if a) five hours is enough time to visit the city center and b) if so, how to go (public transport, taxi?). If advisable, recs for what to see would be appreciated as well!

Polly from Washington, DC

Just FYI if anyone else sees this question when searching for similar info - I was headed back to the US, but since my bags were checked through, I took the #97 bus to the city center. The ride was about $3 each way and took 30 minutes. I got off at Metcalfe and Albert and walked up to Parliament Buildings (which is undergoing restoration work, so I couldn't walk around to the river side, unfortunately). Grabbed one last coffee and donut from Tim Horton's before getting back on the bus at Metcalfe and Slater. I probably could have seen/done more, but I was being conservative with my time. Got back with close to three hours to spare, easily made it through customs and on to my flight.

1. Parliament Buildings (attraction)

Sebastian from Ottawa

Hi Polly,  

I am from Ottawa.  

It all depends where you're connecting to is it international or domestic and do you have a check it bag or not ? What time of the day are arriving ? If you provide me with the details I can definitely advise you if it's worth it or not.

1. Ottawa (city)

Nana from Ottawa

I would be a bit careful, especially because tomorrow is a weekday and there is definitely traffic from and to the airport. Depending which transport you use (I would consider busing since it's the cheapest - taking a taxi will cost you over 30$, one way) I would suggest you visit Byward Market or Rideau Centre. They're great places where you can grab a bite and look around. Someone already brought up Parliament Hill, but like it was stated, it's under construction. Downtown is barely 20 minutes away from the airport, (without traffic) but you would have to manage your time the right way :)

Nana

1. Byward Market (attraction)
  2. Rideau Centre (attraction)
  3. Parliament Hill (attraction)