Avery
Berkeley

Orlando, Florida

Where are the best hotels for a family of 5 to stay in Orlando?

We're visiting Orlando and looking a great place to stay with a family of five (three kids, ages 5-10). We are having a hard time trying to decide if we should stick with one room or get another room for the kids? Ideally we would like to stick with one room that would be large enough to accommodate us all.

We're looking for spacious options that are close to to the Disney parks, since we won't be going to Sea World or any of the Universal Studios attractions. Any recommendations appreciated!

nomary from Orlando

Hotels are tough to pick. If you know anyone that works for a hotel company that are also in Florida, I would suggest seeking some discounts through them. However, groupon has amazing deals on hotels in Orlando. Whenever my family visit, that's where we usually book their stay. One thing to keep in mind is knowing how many days will be "Hotel stay in" days. If you're not planning on staying indoors, then I wouldn't worry too much about finding a hotel that is too pricey. If you will have days to stay in and rest, then make sure there are a ton of activities for your children to do. Disney hotels are expensive especially if you don't have a package, but they have amazing poolside activities for the children. Good luck!

1. Orlando (city)

Recently, I spent a week at the Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort and it turned to be an outstanding choice. It is pretty close to WD Resorts, the boardwalk and many restaurants. I remember that there was a waterfront resort hotel called Disney's BoardWalk Inn  or Disney's BoardWalk Villas. At that moment I thought these villas were an excellent option for families who want to save more money renting a villa than reserving a room. Hope this helps.

1. Walt Disney World Swan & Dolphin Resort (hotel)
  2. Disney's BoardWalk Inn (hotel)

lloyd from Glasgow

Hi Avery

Without doubt - rent a villa!

Our family of five have been going to Florida for 20 years, and never once have we stayed in a hotel. A villa gives you so much more space, peace and quiet,a big pool all for yourself ! -  and a much happier family!

Even now that our three kids have grown up, and my wife and I still go to Florida on our own, we still rent a villa. I found the cost to be very reasonable compared to a decent hotel, and the advantages just make it a no-brainer.

Price depends on several factors. Location and size of villa you want are two of the main reasons.

I usually book via VRBO.com This is a sight were you book direct with the owners and so save on any dealers commission.

For you, i would suggest looking at Kissimmee on this sight, and try and stay at one of the estates off the Highway 192, which is literally minutes from Disney.

We have stayed at many places over the years, but for the last two trips, we stayed at Emerald Island Resort, if that helps.

There are several sites online which can give you a map of all the estates you can stay when in this area.

Let me know if i can help further

Regards,

lloyd

1. Kissimmee (city)
  2. Emerald Island Resort (hotel)

Liv from Cape Cod

The Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek is by far one of the best places you can stay at in Orlando for a family. It’s about 10 minutes away from Disney World and the best part, ask for a room where you get a view of Epcot park because then you’re able to see a free firework show. The shuttles to the park are free from this hotel as well. The pool here is awesome, a lazy river and a water slide. Your kids will love it. It’s fun for the parents too, there’s a great spa and a golf course. 

Floridays Resort Orlando is another great hotel. Free shuttle to various parks, spacious rooms with a kitchen and even a kids section (which we loved). They have a great pool too (it’s huge) and a man made beach and an arcade for the kids. 

JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes is a massive, beautiful hotel. There are endless family restaurants here and a golf club. I know I keep talking about the pools but I know how much little children love swimming pools. Theres is stunning and probably the biggest hotel pool i’ve ever seen, it’s famous for that. The rooms are clean and the customer service was fantastic. Free park shuttle as well. 

Embassy Suites Orlando/Lake Buena Vista Resort was great too. A great waterpark for the kids, free continental breakfast, and free shuttle to the parks. The rooms were nice and big and had kitchens. 

1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek (hotel)
  2. Epcot (attraction)
  3. Floridays Resort Orlando (hotel)
  4. JW Marriott Orlando Grande Lakes (hotel)
  5. Embassy Suites Orlando/Lake Buena Vista Resort (hotel)

Mary Ann from Phoenix

We always stay at Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek.  Very close to downtown Disney and they have a shuttle to the park.  They are condos with all the amenities you need with a family.  Full kitchens, washer dryers, and up to 4 bedrooms.  The resort also has beautiful pools and kids activities during the week. We save lots of $$$ by shopping at Target and eating most meals at the condo.  You can rent from owners of the timeshares or on line through the resort itself.  You can go to timeshare users group and request a week you are interested in going and see what is available.  Just google it.  Good luck in whatever you choose.  

1. Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek (hotel)

raymundo from Jacksonville

I usually stay Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista and get the 2 bedroom suite that has a King in one bedroom and 2 fulls in the other and a sleaper sofa in the living room. It is the best at a fair price.  http://www.ihg.com/staybridge/hotels/us/en/orlando/mcobv/hoteldetail

1. Staybridge Suites Lake Buena Vista (hotel)

Mary Ann from Phoenix

If your interested in having a kitchen and little more room. I have a suggestion. Just got back Saturday from Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort. The resort is beautiful there is both a hotel and timeshare condos on the property. If you go to TUG timeshare users group you may be able to score a good deal on a condo for the week. That is what we did and it was fabulous. Right next to Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista and Waldorf Astoria Orlando close to Disney but not overwhelming Disney. We had 4 adults and 2 kids, having a place to make breakfast and maybe a couple dinners really helped our budget. The kids loved the pools and slides.

1. Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort (hotel)
  2. Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista (hotel)
  3. Waldorf Astoria Orlando (hotel)