Amy
Kansas City (Missouri)

Orlando

Local activities in near Disney / Convention Center for adults?

I will be attending a convention in Orlando in a few weeks near Disney / Universal.  I will be there for about 3 days, and I will have some extra time, both during the day and at night.  

I'd love to check out the area, but I am not interested in chain restaurants or bars....I'd like to get some local flavor whether it be a 'dive' bar or a five star restaurant. Though I will have a car, I would probably prefer to stay nearby or head to somewhere accessible by public transportation.  

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kelsey from Orlando

I would highly recommend Cafe Tu Tu Tango on International Drive. It is in a highly touristy area, however, it features tapas and local food. All of the art pieces are created by local artists and are for sale giving it a very unique ambiance! The food is spectacular and they even have live performers (belly dancers/mariachi bands/etc.) at certain times. If you are willing to drive a little bit, Winter Park (Florida) is just north of Orlando with a very cute downtown and awesome restaurants. If downtown Orlando is what you're looking for, try Dexter's of Thornton Park for lunch or dinner (also has a location in Winter Park) and a day time stroll around Lake Eola Park.

1. Cafe Tu Tu Tango (restaurant)
  2. Winter Park (Florida) (city)
  3. Dexter's of Thornton Park (restaurant)
  4. Lake Eola Park (attraction)

Beverly from Florida

Grap a burger Beaches & Cream Soda Shopmake sure you make a reservation or just get an ice cream from the takeout window.  Walk around Seven Seas Lagoon at night and catch the fireworks at 9:30.  It's magical!  That's free entertainment at Disney.  You might enjoy Downtown Disney for a meal, ice cream, people watching or movie. If you would like to see a beautiful town that the Disney imagineers designed, drive over to Celebrationfor a meal and a walk around the lake and talk to the locals about living in Florida. They're a friendly chatty group.  All of the Disney hotels have bars and coffee shops. Just show the guard your drivers license and tell them you're hoping to get a meal.  You can hop on the monorail and visit a few of the hotels. The Disney parks are expensive and you should be able to spend the whole day to make the cost worthwhile.

1. Beaches & Cream Soda Shop (attraction)
  2. Seven Seas Lagoon (attraction)
  3. Downtown Disney (attraction)
  4. Celebration (city)