Beth
Twin Cities

Orlando

I'm going to Orlando next month for a wedding. What should I check out in Orlando that isn't Disney or Universal Studios?

Hjörtur from Copenhagen

If you're looking for an authentic southern experience, I can recommend going orange/citrus picking. Just west of Disney along highway #27, about 5 miles north of #192 you'll find  The Showcase of Citrus, a place where you can pick your self all sorts of citrus fruits and taste them. It's a great family friendly option where every member of the family can participate. 

They also offer a one hour long safari tour in the world's largest monster truck around the ranch and into the swamps if you want some more action. 

You can read more here: http://www.showcaseofcitrus.com/ 

If you're willing to drive an hour or so I can recommend visiting NASA in  Cape Canaveral, trying out a race car in Daytona Speedway or visiting the jail in US oldest town Saint Augustine

1. Daytona Speedway (attraction)
  2. Cape Canaveral (attraction)
  3. The Showcase of Citrus (attraction)
  4. Saint Augustine (city)

Kenin from Florida

Downtown Orlando is really nice in some parts. The Lake Eola area is pretty nice. There's a great tapas place called Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant in downtown Orlando (not sure why this loaded Tampa). If you're looking for old time fun there's always Old Town Medieval Times or a ton of attractions all along I-Drive like WonderWorks Ripley's Believe It Or Not Orlando Museum. There's also SeaWorld or a water park like Wet 'n Wild.  If you can give more info as to your likes and what part of Orlando you are actually staying in I can give better recomendations as well. 

1. Ceviche Tapas Bar & Restaurant (restaurant)
  2. Old Town (attraction)
  3. Medieval Times (attraction)
  4. WonderWorks (attraction)
  5. Ripley's Believe It Or Not Orlando Museum (attraction)
  6. SeaWorld (restaurant)
  7. Wet 'n Wild (attraction)

Ayesha from Buffalo (New York)

Harry P. Leu Gardens is always great to walk around.

You can also take a small boat in Winter Park that shows you the mansions along the lake and talks about the history of them and the area, it's actually really relaxing and pretty. I did it through Scenic Boat Tours.

Best cupcakes in America: Sweet! By Good Golly Miss Holly by UCF campus.

1. Harry P. Leu Gardens (attraction)
  2. Sweet! By Good Golly Miss Holly (restaurant)

Katarina

I've lived in Orlando for six years, and I've found that there is absolutely nothing worthwhile down in that area.   Winter Park (Florida) is a nice area if you want to drive up there, with a small street called "Park Avenue".  On Saturdays there's a farmers market there which is nice, as well as lots of restaurants and shops.

There's also Harry P. Leu Gardens, which can be nice, but it is often way too hot and muggy for me.

I would avoid the touristy area at all costs, the I-Drive area.  It a money-sucking pit.  The only time I drive down to Universal is when there's an interesting concert going on.

You can spend an hour or two and drive to either the Atlantic or the Gulf Coast.  Both can be nice if you go to the right beaches.   New Smyrna Beach on the Atlantic is more of a hippie town with lots of events and young people.  On the Gulf Coast, there's Clearwater which is similar.

Stand Up Paddleboarding is really popular in the area right now if that is something that interests you; there's also kayaking and canoeing as well.  We do this at Wekiva Springs State Park, and also Rock Springs Road Park.  Both are also natural springs where you can swim, and are usually swimable year-round.

1. Winter Park (Florida) (city)
  2. Harry P. Leu Gardens (attraction)
  3. New Smyrna Beach (city)
  4. Clearwater (city)
  5. Wekiva Springs State Park (attraction)
  6. Rock Springs Road Park (attraction)

lori from Kansas

Nighlife suggestions: The Blue Man Group (at City Walk At Universal Studios - you don't have to go inside the park to get to this place) or La Nouba - Cirque du Soleil (inside Downtown Disney), again you don't have to go inside the actual park to access this show). At both City Walk and Downtown Disney there are plenty of nice restaurants, many featuring free live entertainment. I have personally dined at  Bob Marley: A Tribute To Freedom and Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. at City Walk. Both were great. Bob Marley had live reggae!

Orlando is home to some great dinner theatre shows like  Pirates Dinner Adventure or  Medieval Times for entertainment and food. I attended Medieval Times and enjoyed their 4-course meal!

Travelling with kids: Check out  Legoland Florida or  Gatorland for an outdoor adventure. 

Please feel free to ask for further information. :)

1. City Walk At Universal Studios (attraction)
  2. Downtown Disney (attraction)
  3. Pirates Dinner Adventure (attraction)
  4. Medieval Times (attraction)
  5. La Nouba - Cirque du Soleil (attraction)
  6. Bob Marley: A Tribute To Freedom (restaurant)
  7. Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. (restaurant)
  8. Legoland Florida (amusement park)
  9. Gatorland (attraction)

Ryan from Orlando

Hi Beth,

Check out Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park (website), It's a hole in the wall theatre with only 20 seats or so. The plays are truly incredible and intimate I highly recommend you check it out if you enjoy live theater. Another place to check out is White Wolf Café (website) Antique shop turned restraunt 20 years in the making. The art and menu is incredible. Everything piece of artwork on the walls are for sale. 

Enjoy your stay 

V/r

Ryan

1. Breakthrough Theatre of Winter Park (attraction)
  2. White Wolf Café (restaurant)

If you like art and beaches, then you should head over to the Tampa/Clearwater Bay Area south-west of Orlando.  Worth the 1.5 hour drive!  One of my favorite restaurants in Tampa is Monstah Lobstah Seafood, opened by a professional wrestler of the same name.  He gets lobsters shipped in from his home state of Maine.  In St. Petersburg, The Dali Museum is amazing.  The first time I was there, I ended up closing the place down.  I could spend the whole day there.  For beaches, Clearwater Beach is beautiful with white sand.  Treasure Island also has a nice beach.

I used to go to Tampa a lot and have driven past Orlando a few times while there.  Drive isn't bad at all. 

Have fun! :)

1. Monstah Lobstah Seafood (restaurant)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. The Dali Museum (attraction)
  4. Clearwater Beach (city)
  5. Treasure Island (city)