Thibaud
Singapore

Thibaud from Singapore asked

One month to spend... where would you go?

Just dreaming... If you had one month to spend in the place of your choice, with no budget restriction, where would you go and why?

Ahhh... this is easy. There's a "dream trip" of mine that would take at least a month. It's a personal trip, one that my grandmother did when she was 14 and my grandfather experienced similarly at age 16, so I've always wanted to experience the drastic changes in scenery and culture firsthand.

I'd begin in either Berlin or Vienna and go by train to Trieste, then I'd board a ship and sail around Greece perhaps stopping at an island or two and then head through the Suez Canal through the Red Sea and into the Arabian Sea stopping at a few ports and perhaps in Malaysia for a day. The ship should take about 2 weeks to reach its destination.

It would take me up the Huangpu River into Shanghai where I'd stay and explore for at least a week, walking the famous "Bund" along the river and seeing a show at the Lyceum Theatre where my grandmother once danced. I'd walk through historic Hongkou District and soak up as much of the life, culture, and history as possible before boarding a ship to Bolivia. I'd stay in La Paz Dept for as long as I had time left and then return to San Francisco via the Panama Canal.

It would be long, crazy, expensive, and perhaps overwhelming, but if I could only do one more trip in my entire life, that would be it.

Nathaniel
yep. that sounds right. :)

1. Berlin (city)
  2. Vienna (city)
  3. Trieste (city)
  4. Greece (attraction)
  5. Suez Canal (attraction)
  6. Red Sea (attraction)
  7. Arabian Sea (attraction)
  8. Malaysia (attraction)
  9. Huangpu River (attraction)
  10. Shanghai (city)
  11. Lyceum Theatre (attraction)
  12. Hongkou District (attraction)
  13. Bolivia (country)
  14. La Paz Dept (attraction)
  15. San Francisco (city)
  16. Panama Canal (attraction)
Lynn

Africa.  Definitely Africa.  Kenya/Tanzania, Botswana, Namibia.  Safaris in all places at a leisurely pace?... may end up at a beach resort.

1. Africa (attraction)
  2. Kenya (attraction)
  3. Tanzania (attraction)
  4. Botswana (attraction)
  5. Namibia (attraction)
Nicola from Kirkcaldy, Fife

Florida, I would spend two weeks exploring Orlando, then drive down to Fort Lauderdale, then on to Miami for a few days then end with a relaxing week in the Florida Keys.

I love Florida! I've only been to the western end of the state, though, and not the eastern or southern parts. Need to go back! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Nicola
Thanks! I was wondering how to do that.

1. Florida (attraction)
  2. Orlando (city)
  3. Fort Lauderdale (city)
  4. Miami (city)
  5. Florida Keys (attraction)

If there was no budget restrictions then I would look in to places like Pitcairn Islands Tristan da Cunha or Antarctica as this is all places I really want to visit but are very expensive due to the limited transportation options you have to these places.

1. Pitcairn Islands (attraction)
  2. Tristan da Cunha (attraction)
  3. Antarctica (attraction)
Louise from Lyon

I think I would go to Canada or Alaska to spend time in wild nature!!

Or maybe enjoy this month to discover Colombia that attracts me for a long time !

Or if I want to stay near "home", I would spend one month in Corsica because it's a wonderfull island !

1. Canada (attraction)
  2. Alaska (attraction)
  3. Colombia (attraction)
  4. Corsica (attraction)
Carl

GabonAmazing parks, animals and ecosystems.  Very lightly visited, and expensive due to the lack of tourist infrastructure.  PLUS, amazing fishing.

1. Gabon (attraction)
Brian from Cedar Park

Probably Rome. I've never been, and really want to go, but I'm not sure anything less than a month would suffice.

Spend a week or so seeing the major sites, and then just wander aimlessly, and see what I discover.

So much history to see...

I've never been either. Definitely want to go there for the food and culture!

Brad

China would be my choice.  I would love to see Bejing, the Forbidden City and the Great Wall Of China.  From there a cruise down Three Gorges Dam and finally visits to the Terracotta Warriors Of Xi'an and a side trip to the panda reserve at Wolong National Nature Reserve.  This is such a fascinating country and the culture is so different from ours that I would love to see and touch this amazing place.  

Great answer, Brad! I've been to all but the panda reserve, so that's on my bucket list! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

1. China (country)
  2. Forbidden City (attraction)
  3. Great Wall Of China (attraction)
  4. Three Gorges Dam (attraction)
  5. Terracotta Warriors Of Xi'an (attraction)
  6. Wolong National Nature Reserve (attraction)
Nathaniel from Boston

No budget restrictions and just 1 month? I might have to go for Antarctica here, due to cost. I'd take a small boat from Ushuaia after a trip through Argentina and Patagonia (Argentina) before rounding it all out with Tristan da Cunha in St Helena. It's not THE dream trip but it does seem like the least attainable from a cost perspective, and perfect for 1 month.

Antarctica's on my list!!!

1. Antarctica (attraction)
  2. Ushuaia (city)
  3. Argentina (attraction)
  4. Patagonia (Argentina) (metro area)
  5. Tristan da Cunha (attraction)
  6. St Helena (attraction)
Elaina

Greece.. Without a doubt. I love it there! There are soo many historical things to see! My family is there and the islands are gorgeous. You can get one type of atmosphere from one island and something totally different from the next. I love the people and the food. I love exploring new things and old. Even though I've been there multiple times, seeing the acropolis and all the different temples and ruins its always like I see them for the first time. I'm always in such awe of how unique the architecture is and how things were designed. I without a doubt would spend a month in Greece over and over again!

1. Greece (attraction)
ieth from Manila

Around Europe by train. First stop: Copenhagen.

1. Europe (attraction)
  2. Copenhagen (city)
Jahn from Barcelona

Go somewhere and explore the culture. One month is fine to get a first feeling...

I suggest you choose one cultural rich city. My top list is Buenos AiresBarcelona and Bangkok.

What will you do there? My ideas:

Buenos Aires for dancing.

Barcelona for eating.

Bangkok for asian market culture.

1. Buenos Aires (city)
  2. Barcelona (city)
Valerie from Los Angeles

Kailua to visit one of my dearest friends. I miss her so! 

I have actually never been here, but from her descriptions, it sounds like a majestic place. I don't think Hawaii is ever a bad choice :)

Stephen "Sven"
For me if I had a month to visit. It would be Thailand, Vietnam and Southern China. The warm weather, tropical breezes, amazing Asian food, the cultural architecture, the music and the people would make this a dream vacation. I don't know what it is about Asian hospitality that makes you keep coming back for more.

1. Kailua (city)
Ben from London

How about joining an experience to immerse in the local culture...??

http://www.everthoughtoftrying.com

Cheap plug!

Other than that, I would hire a boat and sail around the Mediterranean Sea or Adriatic Sea stopping off when you please eating the food & drinking the wine!

Or, go on a personal Tour de France riding to all the different regions and tasting the foods!

1. Mediterranean Sea (attraction)
  2. Adriatic Sea (attraction)