M
Washington, DC

Old San Juan, Puerto Rico

How is Puerto Rico During Hurricane season?

Everything I've read says hurricane season in San Juan PR is June 1 to November 30, most impact in August. I found a great flight deal so I'm contemplating a quick getaway to San Juan during Veteran's Day weekend (Wed-Sun). Has anyone been in November? Historically, how likely is it for a hurricane to affect the island in mid-November?

A from Richmond

Hurricanes are not new to Puerto Rico. I used to live in San Juan for 8 years. Life does not stop, as a tourist you may be inconvenienced depending on the severity of the storm. I would choose to stay in an apartment like AirBnb rather than a hotel. Just so that you at least have a kitchen in case it gets tough to find food. It is a cultural experience to see how communities deal with disasters. 

Samy from Sao Paulo

I was in San Juan a couple of years ago during hurricane season and it was really quite nice. It was warm, not too hot. The crowds were pretty mellow and the prices were lower and the weather was fine. I think it rained one day while we were there. November is the tail-end of hurricane season. It peaks sometime in September, and 2015 is predicted to be a quiet season, so personally I'd take the deal in a second.  

1. San Juan (city)