Tiffany
Corvallis

Tiffany from Corvallis asked

What sort of hands-on things can I experience in OKC?

I'm moving Oklahoma City and looking for amazing food and cool things to do and see, but also for hands-on, interesting, culturally relevant experiences that are unique to Oklahoma. How can I connect with local culture? What makes OKC different from other places?

Oklahoma City

Lachelle from Derby, Kansas

The Science Museum Oklahoma in OKC is amazing! They have an awesome slide that is the highest inside slide in the country!

Seth from Oklahoma City

Hi Tiffany,

Welcome to Oklahoma City! The first thing I would recommend is checking out the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber's website for new residents - www.abetterlifeokc.com. It will hopefully answer a lot of questions for you. Another great resource (shameless plug) is the Oklahoma City CVB site - www.VisitOKC.com. Check out the District pages under "Visitor Info" to get a feel for the unique districts around town and what they have to offer. You can see the digital version of our 2015 Oklahoma City Visitors Guide (http://www.visitokc.com/visitor-info/visitors-guide/visitors-guide-online/) there as well, which will give suggestions for great restaurants and things to see and do.

As far as connecting with local culture, I would recommend your first stop be the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum. They've recently completed an $8 million renovation, including hundreds of new artifacts and oral histories, as well as 35 new interactive stations. It will give you a good feel for our recent history and the kind of people you'll find in your new hometown. 

Tiffany
Thanks, Seth! I'll check out those links. I lived in OKC before, but it's been 12 years, so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes and digging in a bit more.

Jackie from Fairland Ok

Their is a lot of history in Oklahoma especially Oklahoma City. Perhaps you would like to see the Science Museum Oklahoma

• The National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum embodies the spirit, passion and grit symbolized by the American West. Through stunning art and splendid exhibitions, the Museum tells America’s story as it unfolds across the West. From fine art, pop culture and firearms to Native American objects, historical cowboy gear, shopping and dining, the Museum is a must-see destination. Open daily: 10am-5pm. Admission: Adults: $12.50, Seniors (62+) & Students with current ID: $9.75, Children (4-12): $5.75, Members and children 3 & under: free
  • Come on, the wild is calling! Oklahoma's #1 attraction and one of the top three family-friendly zoos in the nation, the Zoo features a diverse and fascinating animal and plant collection. Children and adults alike will enjoy world class habitats including Great EscApe, Cat Forest/Lion Overlook, Oklahoma Trails. The Oklahoma City Zoo allows kids of all ages the opportunity to explore the wonders of nature through play plus interactions with barnyard animals and the ever-popular lorikeets!

Nice suggestions, Jackie! By the way, I'm a community manager here and I've helped you highlight the places in your answer on a map! In the future, you can do this yourself as you answer a question by simply typing the @-symbol followed by the name of the place. Take a look at your map next to your answer :)

Ida from Durham (New Hampshire)

One thing you have to check out is the Museum of Osteology which is a museum dedicated to the study of bones. Sounds totally weird, but it's actually pretty interesting and it's certainly unique to the culture!

Tiffany
Thank you! That's not far from where we'll live. We'll definitely check it out!

Tiffany
Just went here and it was great! Thanks for the tip. I'll bring guests. Amazing place.

1. Museum of Osteology (attraction)