Erin
Kimberly, Wisconsin

Erin from Kimberly, Wisconsin asked

What is the best way to get around Okinawa? (transportation wise)

Should I rent a car in Okinawa? Take a taxi, bus, is there a train system? Trying to find the best way to see a majority of the island- best places to check out.

Okinawa (Japan)

Jake from Fayetteville, North Carolina

Probably a bicycle!

That's a joke... kinda. The answer depends how long you will be there, what your goals are, and how much money you have.

There is a bus system that will get you around but you will probably get lost (like I did). Having(renting) a car is the best if you can afford it. This island is 62 miles long and 15 miles wide(at the widest point), if my memory serves me right. Compared to America you will drive very slow as the speed on the express way is 80km/h (about 50 mph), look out for speed cameras and if you get from one toll gate to another too fast, they will ticket you.

Generally:

When in Naha, use a taxi/bus. Everywhere else, car.

Knowledge Base:

I was stationed in Okinawa from 2006-2008. I owned a car in Okinawa and have used taxis/buses there.

1. Naha (city)
  2. Okinawa (city)
Naomi from Ashikaga, Tochigi

Rentacar is the best!

There are buses, but is not very convinient to visit around.There is train but it only goes from the airport to Naha.

Most of tourists use rentacar in Okinawa!

1. Naha (city)
Shogo from Inagi-shi, Tokyo, Japan
Okinawa taxi , there a bus . There is no train .