John

Walla Walla Ohio

I 90 Mountain Passes

Hello. I'm traveling I 90 from Walla Walla, WA to Ohio in early March. I've not done this trip before, and am wondering how much I should be concerned about traveling through the mountain passes at this time of year. Not a fan of mountain driving any time, let alone when it might be tricky. Anyone care to allay my concerns? Should I consider altering my route to avoid? Thanks very much.

The mountanous part of this trip is all at the beginning. - west of Spokane in the mountains of Montana to Bozeman.   The rest of the way across South Dakota and to Rochester (Minnesota) is pretty flat.
The alternate trip would be using I-80 from Walla Walla down to Ogden (which still has some mountains) and then across the plains to Chicago
I would make my decision depending on the weather at the time, and the advice of people there in Walla Walla as to which route to take, and try not to be tied to a schedule which keeps you from waiting for better weather.

1. Spokane (attraction)
  2. Bozeman (attraction)
  3. Rochester (Minnesota) (city)
  4. Walla Walla (city)
  5. Ogden (city)
  6. Chicago (city)

Always people die on icy roads in March and April. It is when you brake on ice that it becomes a problem. So do not slam on brake. It is what you hit, or get hit by, that becomes the issues. You will need blankets, candles, flashlights, reflective vest, water, food, gloves, hats, coat in the car. As soon as you are near ice, find a big parking lot with no poles and see how your car spins out on ice. Stop driving at 4.