Andrew
Cincinnati

Andrew from Cincinnati asked

Best places to visit for a weekend trip from Cincinnati?

Besides Chicago, Nashville, Red River Gorge, Hocking Hills, and Mohican what are doable weekend trips from Cincinnati? By doable I mean within about 6 hours of driving distance one way. Good places to stop for lunch on the way?

Ohio (OH)   Cincinnati (Ohio)

Lalitha from Cincinnati

The Mammoth Cave National Park, Ohio's Amish Country and Yellow Springs are great places to visit. The Winds Cafe in Yellow Springs is an awesome restaurant. Clifton Gorge State Nature Preserve in the yellow springs area is one of the prettiest places I have seen in Ohio.

Jared from Toledo (Ohio)

This is a self-serving answer, since it's my hometown, but I suggest a weekend in Toledo.  It's 3 hours drive from Cincy (Go Bearcats!) and it's accessible and interesting.  Here's my 36 Hour itinerary: 

Friday evening: Check for concerts or events at Huntington Center or a baseball game at Toledo Mud Hens Baseball Club Inc.  Fifth Third Field is especially nice and tickets are cheap.  If sports aren't your thing, check out the Toledo Museum of Art.  It's open til 9:00pm on Fridays with a schedule of special events. Hit up Veritas Cork & Craft for a late evening drink. 

Saturday: Start early at Toledo Farmers' Market. Grab a house-roasted coffee from Flying Rhino and a breakfast treat from All Crumbs Bakery.  Since you are close, walk over to St. Clair Village and stop in The Art Supply Depo for some fun Toledo souvenirs and quality art supplies.  If you didn't already go to the Art Museum, go there now.  It's truly world-class (and free!).    Eat lunch here as well.  The Cafe menu is great and they have a kitchen garden on site.  If you need an afternoon coffee, Black Kite Coffee and Pies is the answer.  Sweet treats and meat pies are available, if you plan to eat dinner late.  For dinner, look along Monroe Street or for something a bit more special venture over to Registry Bistro or Kengo Sushi & Yakitori. Spend the evening bar-hopping along Adams Street (Wesley's Bar & Grill, Attic On Adams, Manhattan's Restaurant, Ottawa Tavern Inc among others).

Sunday: If you want to stay downtown, head to Black Kite Coffee and Pies for a nice breakfast. Handmade Toledo is a great place to look for unique items handmade in the region.  If you prefer you souvenirs a little older, venture out of downtown to the Maumee Antique Mall. Afternoon plans could go in several directions.  If you want to be outdoors, check out Oak Openings Preserve Metropark or a little further east Maumee Bay State Park.  Need to entertain little ones? Head to the Toledo Zoo and their new aquarium. 

Downtown Toledo has exploded with development in the last five years.  For me, it's the perfect scale right now for a great mix of old and artistic with new and slick.  I don't have any great suggestions for hotels, since I never need one in town.  I know that some of the shows that come to the arena use the Park Inn by Radisson Toledo, OH but I haven't been inside in a decade.

Todd from Cincinnati

I'd also suggest Madison, Indiana on the Ohio River, about 1-1.5 hours west of Cincinnati.  It is a quaint little river town that looks like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting.  There are plenty of shops and a number of good restaurants (sorry I can recall any specific ones) and also a couple of wineries.  Just a couple miles west of town there is Clifty Falls State Park, which has several very scenic hikes to enjoy as well as waterfalls (assuming there's been enough rain, which shouldn't be an issue so far this summer).

Audrey from Kentucky

Lexington. Horse park, horse farm tour, many great restaurants, historic sites (Henry Clay's Public House , Mary Todd Lincoln House ), vineyards, breweries, etc