Abby
Corona del Mar, California

O'ahu

What to do/see with college friends on O'ahu?

I will be traveling to Oahu to visit my best friend who attends University of Hawaii. It's been a long time since I've been to Oahu and I'm curious to know what the must see/must do attractions are. 

Looking for advice on hikes, secret beaches, bars, restaurants, etc. 

We will also be traveling to the north shore and want info about that area too. Thanks!

Terri from Arkansas

North Shore is awesome. There is a beach and hike across the water. Search Goat Island for details. You go to the beach (can't remember the name of the beach but the island is a little out. There is a spot where the tide comes from both sides and meets. In the morning it is low and you can walk to the island and explore then as the day goes the tide comes in and when you go back across the tide has risen so you are wading across the ocean to shore. The island is cool as well. Gotta do this!

1. North Shore (region)
  2. Goat Island (attraction)

Solomon from Honolulu, Hawaii

best burger on the island is at Liliha Bakery. its kinda small as far as portion size but rich in flavor

1. Liliha Bakery (restaurant)

Jessica from O'ahu

Where to start?! Oahu is beautiful and there is a lot to do. I would recommend getting the Trip Advisor app on your phone and favoriting each item you like. My list for when family and friends come to visit is: 

Haleiwa - there's tons of stores and shops there. I love the environment there. 

Waimea Bay - The Waimea Bay is beautiful and there's a spot to go cliff jumping at. There's also a paved hike to a waterfall but you have to pay to do it. 

Byodo-In Temple - Its a gorgeous temple is you are into the Buddhism religion. 

Lanikai Beach - Do the Lanikai pill box hike. It's beautiful. Then finish the day off at the beach. Gorgeous view. 

Honolulu - There's Waikiki beach, tons of shops there as well. There's Diamond Head hike. There's also Manoa Falls hike. There's also Koko Head Hike or stairs of doom as they call it. There's also the blowhole next to Koko head. Hanauma Bay is next to Koko head as well and it's an amazing place to go snorkeling at. There's also sunset beach which is beautiful there. 

Ka‘ena Point - This hike is beautiful and so is the beaches. 

The lagoons at Kapolei. It's a very beautiful place to go for a swim and to go snorkeling at. 

Ewa Beach - This beach is beautiful as well and perfect to go beach combing. 

There's also a hiking app. I forget the name of it but it lists all of the hikes here on the island. 

1. Haleiwa (city)
  2. Waimea Bay (attraction)
  3. Byodo-In Temple (attraction)
  4. Lanikai Beach (attraction)
  5. Honolulu (city)
  6. Ka‘ena Point (attraction)
  7. Kapolei (attraction)
  8. Ewa Beach (attraction)

Amber from Temecula

Hello,

On your way to North Shore stop at Turtle Beach (I think there is another name but if you ask locals they will know what I'm talking about).  You'll park on the road and climb down a few rocks onto the shore where you can usually spot sea turtles either in the water or sun bathing.  There are volunteers there that chart them and can answer questions.  Eat at Mackie's Shrimp truck and make sure to hit up Matsumoto Shave Ice for shaved ice.  Don't forget to order it "local style".  There is also a delicious sandwich shop with yummy baked goods next to the health food market in North Shore too.

1. North Shore (region)
  2. Turtle Beach (attraction)
  3. Matsumoto Shave Ice (attraction)

Juliana from Las Vegas

North shore is one of the most beautiful spots on the island! do some SUP over to the Mokulua Islands State Seabird Sanctuary and spend some time in Kailua, my favorite town on O'ahu.

1. Mokulua Islands State Seabird Sanctuary (attraction)
  2. Kailua (city)
  3. O'ahu (attraction)