Jessie
San Jose (California)

Jessie from San Jose (California) asked

Is the Polynesian Cultural Center worth it?

Bringing the family, Me, Wifey, Daughter 22, Son 18, Son 8 and Grandson 4 to Oahu.  Was thinking of bringing them to the Polynesian Cultural center but not sure it is worth it.  I'm not too interested in the Luau or Buffet as i plan on taking them to a different one, but if someone says it is a can't miss then i will keep it on the list.

O'ahu

Teri from Walnut Creek, California

Aloha~  As a Master Certified Specialist for the Island of O'ahu... PLEASE, yes... it's a must do!  For many reasons and I will share a few; get you and your family out of Waikiki and the city, to see just how truly beautiful this island is and how different. (Insider Tip; pay for the transportation!  Do not spoil an otherwise perfect day by trying to drive yourself out to the North Shore!) It's a fun and a "hands on" way to learn about the cultures that are the Hawaiian people!  The presentations at each village let you see and better understand the differences in these cultures.  (Tip; do plan on spending the entire day!  The villages, and daytime activities are only enhanced by the nighttime dinners and show!) The food and the show... the evening's events are well worth the day! Even for a "veteran" like myself, it is time well spent, and I still visit even today!

1. Waikiki (attraction)
  2. North Shore (region)
Michael from San Diego

This is a great family fun activity. I really enjoyed learning about not only the Hawaiian culture but that of the entire South Pacific.

I found that you can find discount tickets online Polynesian Cultural Center Discounted Tickets for the Polynesian Cultural Center

No evening at the Polynesian Cultural Center would be complete without experiencing "Ha: Breath of Life", an ancient, yet universal tale. Performers dressed in authentic attire share their traditions and culture, just as their ancestors once did. You will also witness the exciting fire walkers and fire-knife dancers. This is a very entertaining show, not your typical luau show.

If you are into learning more about the Hawaiian culture then take the family to Hawaii's Plantation Village there you can take a guided tour of the history of the sugar cane workers from the early immigrants to Hawaii. Admission is about $13 for adults and kids 4-11 years old are $5 check out the Sugar Plantation Hawaii Website

While you are at the north shore make sure to visit Haleiwa and get some shaved ice. Kids and adults love this Hawaiian treat. Great to eat on a hot sultry tropical day on O'ahu.

Terry from Honaunau, Hawaii

It's a must do activity.  Where else can you learn about and experience all seven main cultures of Polynesia.  It is not just educational but also very entertaining!  The key is to participate in the activities and talk to the people and learn about their lifestyle and culture.  My two most favorite villages are Samoa and Tonga!  These students are so comical, you can tell they love sharing their culture with you.  There is so much happening during the daytime that you cannot see it all in once visit.  Try to get there when the gates open at 12pm.  Start with the canoe ride, it's a great way to get an orientation of where everything is.  Dinner is excellent.  Several options to choose from including an all Hawaiian luau where you get an additional show.  The evening show is the highlight with 100 performers and the most impressive fire knife dancers that toss their flaming knives from one end of the stage to the other.   And the most impressive thing is that when you visit the Cultural Center you are actually helping students to pay their way to go to college and get an education.  There is a reason why it is the number one paid attraction!

Cath

Please go! It's all worth the money.

Nalin from Cypress

My take on Polynesian Cultural Center as a first time visitor was a good experience. But keep in mind that it was my first ever trip to Hawaii, and I had no previous knowledge about these cultures. I was really amazed by these cultures, the way of life, and how some of these tribes survive with very limited resources.

Having said that, I doubt that I will pay a second visit, since I've seen it all. 

Hope it helps