Liz
Westlake

O'ahu, Hawaii

"Stairway to Heaven" Oahu Tips

Has anyone climbed the Stairway to Heaven in Oahu And have any tips? My brother and I are really interested but we know there's a security guard that stands at the bottom. Any pointers?

Laura from Honolulu

Hey!  I live on O'ahu and have done Haiku Stairs many times - SO BEAUTIFUL!  There are 2 ways to do it: The much longer, but legal way is to take the Bowman Trail.  It's around 10 miles to the end.  I would do it during the day and take the entire day for this long hike.  My preferred way it the second one: Start in a neighborhood in Kaneohe (you can just google around for the entrance since it's kind of hidden in a residential area) and go right up the stairs.  Yes, there is a guard hired by the neighborhood because there have been break-in's and theft due to increased traffic.  If he catches you going up, he'll fine you I heard around $300-$600.  If it's coming back down, he won't even look your way (He just watches Netflix haha).  The best way to do this is to start around 3:00AM and plan to wait for sunrise to come down.  It is so incredible seeing the sunrise from the top of a mountain in Hawaii from inside the clouds.  Bring a jacket.  It gets cold up there.  Hope this helps!

1. O'ahu (island)
  2. Haiku Stairs (attraction)
  3. Bowman Trail (attraction)
  4. Kaneohe (city)