Sierra
Lafayette (Indiana)

Nova Scotia

Must see/do's food tours and nightlife in Nova Scotia in August

Two 30 something couples heading to Nova Scotia in August. What are the must see/do's for outdoors types that love food tours and fun nightlife?

Ernst from Long Island (New York)

I was in Nova Scotia around the time of the Celtic Colours International Festival in 2010 and spent 4 weeks, mostly on Cape Breton Island.  I'm a photographer, so a big reason I went was for the fall colors and waterfalls. 

I'm an outdoors type and I spent some time exploring Cape Breton Highlands National Park and Margaree Valley as well as 2 really interesting historic sites: The Fortress Of Louisbourg NHS / LHN Forteresse de Louisbourg and Highland Village Museum.  In the national park, I hiked several trails including Skyline, Corney Brook, and Lone Shieling.  Port Hood on the west coast of Cape Breton Island is a nice spot for sunset.  The boardwalk at Inverness Beach is worth a stroll.  There is also a nice walk to a waterfall in Uisge Ban Falls Provincial Park.  Another amazing waterfall is Egypt Falls in the Margaree Valley.  It's a bit off the beaten path.

Outside of my time on Cape Breton Island, I spent a couple of days around Halifax mainly to see the Halifax Citadel and Peggys Cove.  Peggy's Cove Lighthouse is well known, but as in any coastal place where waves are crashing on the rocks, be careful not to get too close to the edge.  People have been pulled into the surf and drowned here by rouge waves.

I spent the better part of a week in and around Lunenburg which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.  It is a very picturesque small town and worth spending some time in.

I don't have many recommendations as far as food as I was mainly getting my food from supermarkets.  One place I remember as I went back several times is the The Dancing Goat Cafe & Bakery in Margaree Valley.  It is a small "locals" kind of place serving great sandwiches, soups, pastries, etc. This is a place I would definitely go back to!  They have a Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/DancingGoatCafe 

I have a limited number of photos of my trip in Nova Scotia posted on my Facebook page.  They are in a public album, so as long as you have a Facebook account, you can check them out.  There are photos included from all the places I mentioned above.

https://www.facebook.com/ernstimages/media_set?set=a.10150102298284115.320406.746039114&type=3

1. Cape Breton Island (attraction)
  2. Cape Breton Highlands National Park (attraction)
  3. Margaree Valley (region)
  4. The Fortress Of Louisbourg NHS / LHN Forteresse de Louisbourg (attraction)
  5. Highland Village Museum (attraction)
  6. Port Hood (region)
  7. Inverness Beach (attraction)
  8. Uisge Ban Falls Provincial Park (attraction)
  9. Halifax (city)
  10. Peggys Cove (city)
  11. Lunenburg (city)
  12. The Dancing Goat Cafe & Bakery (restaurant)
  13. Halifax Citadel (hotel)

Paul from Victor (Idaho)

I agree with the comment above, the Halifax Citadel in Halifax is amazing. I was only there for a conference years ago, but I do remember having a great time at the Economy Shoe Shop and the local brewery tasting room.  http://bigmikebass.site90.com/economyshoeshop/

1. Halifax Citadel (hotel)
  2. Economy Shoe Shop (attraction)

Sharon

Great winery's in N.S., from Wolfville to Bear River,  N.S.'s little Switzerland., you have to experience the Fundy National Park tides . , Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site Canada's best national park. Great hiking. Fresh seafood , swimming in Atlantic Ocean.

1. Wolfville (city)
  2. Bear River (city)
  3. Fundy National Park (attraction)
  4. Kejimkujik National Park and National Historic Site (attraction)

Tina from Digby

I live on the Bay of Fundy on Digby neck and there are Whale Watch cruises and beautiful hiking trails. Lavena's Catch Cafe is a wonderful place to eat and she also has a lounge and entertainment.

1. Bay of Fundy (attraction)
  2. Lavena's Catch Cafe (restaurant)