Zoé

Norway

Norway's nature

Hello! What are the best nature spot to visit in Norway in May? 

daarth from Bergen

Bergen is called "The gateway to the fjords", and since the fjords are what make Norway special, I would suggest using that as an entry point to visiting fjords. What fjords to visit depends on how much time you have for your trip. The nearest fjords are Hardangerfjord and Sognefjord

1. Bergen (city)
  2. Hardangerfjord (attraction)
  3. Sognefjord (attraction)

Olav from Asker

The inner fjords on the south-west coast, specifically the SognefjordSognefjord and HardangerfjordHardangerfjord systems, with the greening fields and flowering fruit trees, and snow-covered mountains. It is a good time to do the so-called Norway in a Nutshell tour from Oslo to BergenBergen and back. Or extend it to go via the coastal express liner from Bergen to ÅlesundÅlesund or MoldeMolde, bus to ÅndalsnesÅndalsnes and train back to Oslo. 

May is also the best month to visit the west coast cities, before the main tourism flow and the period with the best weather - mid-May towards the last week of June. Well, statistics is only statistics, but go in July and be convinced - the rise of the umbrellas is evident....

May is NOT the month to go into the mountains, it is neither winter nor proper spring, and inland the spring is a drawn-out affair.

1. Sognefjord (attraction)
  2. Hardangerfjord (attraction)
  3. Bergen (city)
  4. Ålesund (attraction)
  5. Molde (city)
  6. Åndalsnes (attraction)

I drove from Oslo up to Lillehammer, Jotunheimen National Park, Flåm and then back down to Bergen. Beautiful drive, great roads, excellent scenery.

That gave me a nice taste of that region. I also flew up to Tromso. I could've spent several more days there, easily. But I was just there a few days to do a 10k up there. It's a nice place to camp, too!

1. Jotunheimen National Park (attraction)
  2. Flåm (attraction)
  3. Tromso (city)